Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (14 Viewers)

JD and IGs.....

$1s
The coolest Jack to me is the $1, what a cool snowflake. Does that beat out the IG $1s? Doubtful since one has the exact same spots and faux shaped inlay. So......tie ish? I could see folks going either direction.

$5
Ummm....not even remotely close. Tiger claw, 'murica, nuff said.

$25
Yes, one looks like a fruit we eat. And yeah I think they're dope, it's got pink! The other is just a....... 8V! Not to mention that the watermelon is the better of the two options for JD and it's a repeating shape, circle. Easy winner for IG here.

$100
I could see some people go JD here. For me ARC yellow baby, can't fricken go wrong and what a cool spot patter for a hundo, and yes I know the spot patter is one that is a lot of hate/love. So I guess I could see an objective coin flip here, but I sure hear a lot more pandering for arc yellow on here than I do for what the JD has.

Lineup
JD spot progression doesn't make much sense. Spots get less and less from the 1 to the 5 to the 25 to the hundo kinda? Maybe you can pretend to like the backwards progression although we never hear that. Then there's the repeating shapes, and the fact that with the black inlay on black chip with the undo, the only really noticeable faux shape is on the $1? Huh.

IG contains claws, 8v, and arc yellow within the 4 denoms, faux shaped inlays throughout.

I'd put this one at a landslide.

1690846538927.png

1690846626984.png

Noone wants to talk about this? Everyone who paid through the nose and continues to do so for......what? Because we called them "watermelons"? Give me a break, this isn't even remotely close, IG are light years ahead.

$1s are a toss up, $5s are easily IG, I'll even allow someone to say $25 toss up although the Watermelon makes no sense in the lineup, and I'll even allow someone to say $100 is a toss up, and the overall lineup and cohesion is a landslide of IG.

Anyone paying through the nose for a JD set today instead of a mint IG set sitting in the classifieds is.....not smart. Y'all need some sense knocked into ya.

Last edited:
JD and IGs.....

$1s
The coolest Jack to me is the $1, what a cool snowflake. Does that beat out the IG $1s? Doubtful since one has the exact same spots and faux shaped inlay. So......tie ish? I could see folks going either direction.

$5

$25
Yes, one looks like a fruit we eat. And yeah I think they're dope, it's got pink! The other is just a....... 8V! Not to mention that the watermelon is the better of the two options for JD and it's a repeating shape, circle. Easy winner for IG here.

$100
I could see some people go JD here. For me ARC yellow baby, can't fricken go wrong and what a cool spot patter for a hundo, and yes I know the spot patter is one that is a lot of hate/love. So I guess I could see an objective coin flip here, but all I sure here a lot more pandering for arc yellow on here than I do for what the JD has.

Lineup
JD spot progression doesn't make much sense. Spots get less and less from the 1 to the 5 to the 25 to the hundo kinda? Maybe you can pretend to like the backwards progression although we never hear that. Then there's the repeating shapes, and the fact that with the black inlay on black chip with the undo, the only really noticeable faux shape is on the $1? Huh.

IG contains claws, 8v, and arc yellow within the 4 denoms, faux shaped inlays throughout.

View attachment 1172390
View attachment 1172392

Noone wants to talk about this? Everyone who paid through the nose and continues to do so for......what? Because we called them "watermelons"? Give me a break, this isn't even remotely close, IG are light years ahead.

$1s are a toss up, $5s are easily IG, I'll even allow someone to say $25 toss up although the Watermelon makes no sense in the lineup, and I'll even allow someone to say $100 is a toss up, and the overall lineup and cohesion is a landslide of IG.

Anyone paying through the nose for a JD set today instead of a mint IG set sitting in the classifieds is.....not smart. Y'all need some sense knocked into ya.
IG needs to surpass Hsi secondary/primary before you come for the JD

755DD974-31A8-4C59-A296-8D3169D8A1D9.png

IG needs to surpass Hsi secondary/primary before you come for the JD

View attachment 1172419
Oh no that’s totally fine. Happy to argue 1/2 with the IG and HSI.

I don’t even know if JD can hold down the 3rd spot.

I know my post is controversial. I’m here for it!

Please, someone take me to school. What is so cool about the JD $1-$100? They aren’t Jumers bad, but they also sure aren’t anything special….

Some sets are in the HOF for the likeness of their owner not the beauty of the set…

JD has some very nice individual chips… but I agree. No contest with IG.

JD and IGs.....

$1s

$5

$25

$100
I could see some people go JD here. For me ARC yellow baby, can't fricken go wrong and what a cool spot patter for a hundo, and yes I know the spot patter is one that is a lot of hate/love. So I guess I could see an objective coin flip here, but all I sure here a lot more pandering for arc yellow on here than I do for what the JD has.

Lineup

View attachment 1172390
View attachment 1172392

I'm not familiar with the market price of JD but I like the JDs better.

$5 claws are cool but the spot colors are better on the JD.

$25/$100 IGs don't show enough base color on the edges.

$1 is a tie, slight edge IG.

The JD 5/25/100 share a theme, while the IG 25/100 look like clones and the 1 and 5 look like they're off in their own world.

$5 claws are cool but the spot colors are better on the JD.
I respect the opinion, but I think objectively claws are above and beyond sought after far more than red white and yellow.
$25/$100 IGs don't show enough base color on the edges.
I’m confused, overhead or in stacks? The $25 is an 8V, one of the most historic and sought after spot patterns. So again, I respect and trying to understand the opinion, but trying to find some objective reasoning here hard to believe that an 8V chip not showing enough base color is applicable.
The JD 5/25/100 share a theme, while the IG 25/100 look like clones and the 1 and 5 look like they're off in their own world.
What’s the theme? The circle circle circle?

And yes, I can IG looking like clones of….well I guess 8V chips and BTPs? Which both were extraordinarily popular. Lol I’m trying to meet you halfway here, but not understanding any of the reasoning.

Oh no that’s totally fine. Happy to argue 1/2 with the IG and HSI.

I don’t even know if JD can hold down the 3rd spot.

I know my post is controversial. I’m here for it!

Please, someone take me to school. What is so cool about the JD $1-$100? They aren’t Jumers bad, but they also sure aren’t anything special….
Well usually the $500s and above are included?

Poll each denom lol always fun
Yeah, I should’ve PMed someone to do that beforehand.

Now the waters are murkied by folks knowing why/what Barrie likes.

And I know, IG owners will vote Ig and JD will vote JD, but I was hoping by posting here someone would partially open my eyes like woah, I didn’t notice how well this specific JD denom played with this one.

Or maybe under neon lights the JDs light up and have intricate woven designs unique on each chip, which when placed in an exact combination join to form a Thundercat?

I will say that I could see a huge change in popularity and perception with how many people unsuspectingly received really worn racks of chips from The Chip Room and such shenanigans.

The fact that so many used chips are out there and then add to that that people post them for sale as “mint” probably had a huge effect.

I’m guessing if they were split pre sale and sold at different prices, that they would be considered much closer.

Last edited:
I respect the opinion, but I think objectively claws are above and beyond sought after far more than red white and yellow.

Claws may be more popular and more rare. My controversial opinion is I like the other ones more.

I’m confused, overhead or in stacks? The $25 is an 8V, one of the most historic and sought after spot patterns. So again, I respect and trying to understand the opinion, but trying to find some objective reasoning here hard to believe that an 8V chip not showing enough base color is applicable.

I'm not really coming from this from a provenance or popularity POV. Multicolor 8V edges just look really messy to me. I don't know how you do it, but when I look at stacks across the table, a big part of easy visual ID is seeing the base color on the edges.

What’s the theme? The circle circle circle?

And yes, I can IG looking like clones of….well I guess 8V chips and BTPs? Which both were extraordinarily popular. Lol I’m trying to meet you halfway here, but not understanding any of the reasoning.

I'm focused more on colors, including their edge presentation, more so than inlay shapes, which don't really matter to me unless they have really long appendages.

IG sets are available at TCR prices today.

JD sets are insta-dibsed at prices some people shake their heads at for RHC.

Everything else is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

Not familiar, but this may be a matter of limited supply for JD (or abundant supply for IG).

IG sets are available at TCR prices today.

JD sets are insta-dibsed at prices some people shake their heads at for RHC.

Everything else is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.
Correct.

I am posting a controversial opinion essentially asking why.

In answering my own question, I think it’s for reasons not related to which of the chip sets is objectively much better.

Looking at the $1-$100, I think that one is extraordinarily more expensive for reasons having nothing to do with the actual chip.

And im just going off of what I’ve learned from here. Cohesion, spots, progression, etc. - IG *crushes* JD.

And while design and aesthetics can be subjective, there are some baseline principles and similar guidelines that from what little I know, highlight IG - not JD.

I don’t disagree with you one bit! But I think that JDs are beyond inflated by JD bros and all those here who spent head over heels in the secondary market and need to protect their investment. Y’all/they all should thank their lucky stars that IG weren’t all mint or handled better/with more fanfare.

Everyone wants to say FuCk TiGeRs - ummm sure they’re expensive chips that are also mint, THC, made by chipper for chipper, with top of the line usage of colors, spots, progression, etc.

Why don’t people keep that same energy for Jack Detroit folks who bought chips because….everyone else was and one of them has pink/green?

I’m probably just overthinking, don’t know why these always bug me. Everyone enjoy your (circle) chips!

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with you one bit! But I think that JDs are beyond inflated by JD bros and all those here who spent head over heels in the secondary market and need to protect their investment. Y’all/they all should thank their lucky stars that IG weren’t all mint or handled better/with more fanfare.
100%!!! The Jack Detroits looked great when they were released. People went crazy over them and prices got stupid. Since then, they have been surpassed by just about every subsequent RHC chiproom release. There is no doubt they are one of the most overated sets on PCF.

Hey I'm just here poking the bear seeing if the bear has anything coherent to say.

So far the most relevant thing I've heard was
Jack inlay > IG inlay
IG spots > Jack spots
Other than that, only people pointing to popularity (nobody said humans were smart) and a guy that said something about not liking the tentacles or appendages of an 8v.

But it's a good thing! If we all liked the same thing, there wouldn't be enough to go round.

I hope ChipRoom releases Bob Cincinatti or Mike Chicago or Jeff Los Angeles chips for all of us soon!

and a guy that said something about not liking the tentacles or appendages of an 8v.

Lol that is not what I said.

I'm focused more on colors, including their edge presentation, more so than inlay shapes, which don't really matter to me unless they have really long appendages.

Appreciate your opinion. The JD may even be overrated. But we're going to have agree to disagree on the relative aesthetics vs the IG, and that's okay.

Ready?

Shuffling AHEAD of the Dealer is better than behind & you will never change my mind.
Harold Ramis Dont Cross The Streams GIF by Ghostbusters

I'm not being a numskull, it's a genuine question.

Shuffle Behind:
When the hand ends, the cards are scooped up by the dealer of that hand. He shuffles everything up, and hands the cards with a cut card on top to the future dealer, two seats to the left. Dealer cuts and deals.

Positive: The cards motion literally moves *once*, from previous dealer to future dealer.
Cons: Dealer cuts his own deck.
I prefer passing a fresh shuffle one seat left with a cut card on top. That player cuts and passes left again, and the receiving dealer has a deck that is ready to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom