Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (10 Viewers)

Yes and no. The IG primary $25 IS to light. The deeper green on the secondary is a much better color. But the primary is still the better chip. It’s just flawed in its pastelness, mostly because it doesn’t fit in with the other chips in the rack.
I don't disagree that in only comparing base colors that the secondary is a nicer green. But @BarrieJ3 is mixing primaries with secondaries. Looking at just the primaries, the pastels in the $25 go nicely with the $100p and with the $1p. It's the $5p that's the odd chip out, from a pastel perspective within that lineup. .

No doubt. Different opinions make it great, I think my preference for the other $25 is an unpopular opinion as well.

You can’t *give* those chips away (primary 8V $25s), and yet I bought up enough of em to run a limit set of $25s.

But - I think a lot of IG owners who prefer the secondary $25 prob would also prefer Jacks.

(I don’t personally think that a bright color chip and the watermelon are so stunning to overcome messed up shapes, bad progression, no cohesion, and claw/8V/arc yellow, BUT it’s the first argument I understand and respect - you simply like the chips and colors of $5/$25 a ton and the rest may not be as important. Makes total sense to me in that regard)
To me, the ONLY problem with the IG $25s is the spots. If this chip were 3D14 instead of 2D14, it would be a truly great $25. But the double spot groups on a $25 chip are just so out of sync with any sort of coherent spot progression that it turns me completely off to the chip.

I don't disagree that in only comparing base colors that the secondary is a nicer green. But @BarrieJ3 is mixing primaries with secondaries. Looking at just the primaries, the pastels in the $25 go nicely with the $100p and with the $1p. It's the $5p that's the odd chip out, from a pastel perspective within that lineup. .
I currently have Jack Detroit, Jack Cincinnati, HSI, and IG cash sets (among other cash and tourney sets). Love the JD $5 but agree the IG flows together nicely as a cash set and may be my top choice.

My preference for IG cash is:
$1 sec, $5 pri, $25 pri, $100 pri and $500 sec (doubt I'd ever get the $500 in play).

I always thought the IG $25 and $100 secondaries were better suited to a tournament lineup (then the basic $25 spot works well to start as a T25 based set).

I'm just happy there are so many good options to choose from. Everyone can pic their favouritem

For me, I love the JD $100 primary but the JD $100 sec is top of my list for worst $100 ever (maybe worst chip in general). The basic spots and the black/white/hawaii combo just bother me. To each their own.

I once bought a rack of Money Tree $5s…. To see what all the fuss was about.

I immediately put them back in the classifieds, because in my opinion, that’s where they belonged.

Comedy Sketch GIF by NETFLIX

I once had a set of Casbah clubs and practically gave them away whe nobody wanted them. In stacks the diameter was not consistent.

I mean there’s a reason they were like $150.
They were $269 Sir! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :wtf:
you bought the wrong ones..
Did I though???

In a blind taste test (so the blaze doesn’t confuse your urges), what’s the difference between these chips??? Maybe I missed something. Help me understand :unsure: You might convince me to try TRK again…
IMG_5108.jpegIMG_5110.jpegIMG_5109.jpeg

PCFers who like IG more: All chips are great. Based on a points system, fairly evaluating and evenly distributing worth to these 20 aesthetic and chipper principles, it does appear that the Detroit Jacks unfortunately fall below not only IG but most chip sets.

PCFers who prefer Jacks:
Played as a tournament setup (T25+) Jack Detroit >>>>>> IG.

Also IG sec $100 is overrated by a longshot.

Did I though???

In a blind taste test (so the blaze doesn’t confuse your urges), what’s the difference between these chips??? Maybe I missed something. Help me understand :unsure: You might convince me to try TRK again…
View attachment 1174549View attachment 1174552View attachment 1174554
Jokes aside, I've found that TRKs have a tendency to be slightly more "spongy" or "rubbery" than Paulsons ... especially if they're heavily broken in. They absorb way more oil, for example, and can sometimes be tough to handle/shuffle -- the maroon rack above might be the poster-child of that phenomenon.

But they're not all like that.

I don't believe the lead content is the culprit. The orange $5s, for example, are actually quite lighter, but shuffle like a dream. I also have some MT quarters that are well-worn but are also a joy to shuffle.

So I dunno, there are plenty of TRK experts here who know a hell of a lot more than me. Only point is don't judge all TRKs by the rack you bought. TRK world is as diverse, if not more so, than Paulsons.

Did I though???

View attachment 1174549View attachment 1174552View attachment 1174554
I doubt I can convince you to like certain chips.
If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em.
I have preferences in weight for chips, but I look at the chip as a whole (no need for a blind taste test when deciding on chips).
I really like my BCC chips which only weigh between 7.7g and 8.3g.. I also really like my Nevada lodge TRK set which goes up above 11g per.

Jokes aside, I've found that TRKs have a tendency to be slightly more "spongy" or "rubbery" than Paulsons ... especially if they're heavily broken in. They absorb way more oil, for example, and can sometimes be tough to handle/shuffle -- the maroon rack above might be the poster-child of that phenomenon.

I don't believe the lead content is the culprit. The orange $5s, for example, are actually quite lighter, but shuffle like a dream. I also have some MT quarters that are well-worn but are also a joy to shuffle.

So I dunno, there are plenty of TRK experts here who know a hell of a lot more than me. Only point is don't judge all TRKs by the rack you bought. TRK world is as diverse, if not more so, than Paulsons.

@Okku oscar, come teach us

This. I think a lot of TRK are fugly… but once I touched some of the good ones I got it. They are special.

I doubt I can convince you to like certain chips.
If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em.
I have preferences in weight for chips, but I look at the chip as a whole (no need for a blind taste test when deciding on chips).
I really like my BCC chips which only weigh between 7.7g and 8.3g.. I also really like my Nevada lodge TRK set which goes up above 11g per.

Sighs….. Opens wallet… Starts browsing classifieds for TRKs…. Thanks for the input fellas, I’m always learning.

To be honest I think @louBdub just hasn't had the right TRKs. I personally haven't oiled TRKs before, I have cleaned them though.

TRKs were some of the first chips I got into and luckily I did because I haven't turned back since. I've bought Paulsons and other chips throughout my journey, but I still find myself loving TRKs more than anything. It's the sound, the feel, the weight of leaded ones, the colors, the art and everything about the right ones just makes them so much better than everything else out there.

Sure you can buy monogrammed TRKs (majority of them aren't going to be leaded), but they still have the feel, the have the sound, the look and more. The aren't the leaded chips that everyone loves or wants to have of course, but they're still TRKs. I talked with @leo822 months ago or maybe even a year ago for a bit one night and we referenced TRKs as being the Ferrari of the chip world. They're usually older, they're vintage, they're beautiful, classic, gain value and so much more. Paulsons and other chips do too, but TRKs to me and others are a step and a half above everything else. That's one reason you don't see TRK sets for sale too often. Once you get them, you find out what they are and you fall in love. It's so hard to let go of them because you never know if you'll ever be able to get them back.

I'm sure there are others that haven't gotten the right TRKs yet either so @louBdub you aren't by yourself and I can agree with others that you can't judge chips by just one rack. I know that you did buy the other TRKs which were just monogrammed, but those weren't anything special. Once you feel let's say Overland $1s or something HEAVY in quantity you'll understand. Leaded TRKs will bring a premium as many other leaded chips, but let me tell you... they're so worth it!

I can agree that there are a lot of TRKs that are ugly, but there are SO MANY that are amazing and stand out from the rest. They're truly special!

To be honest I think @louBdub just hasn't had the right TRKs. I personally haven't oiled TRKs before, I have cleaned them though.

TRKs were some of the first chips I got into and luckily I did because I haven't turned back since. I've bought Paulsons and other chips throughout my journey, but I still find myself loving TRKs more than anything. It's the sound, the feel, the weight of leaded ones, the colors, the art and everything about the right ones just makes them so much better than everything else out there.

Sure you can buy monogrammed TRKs (majority of them aren't going to be leaded), but they still have the feel, the have the sound, the look and more. The aren't the leaded chips that everyone loves or wants to have of course, but they're still TRKs. I talked with @leo822 months ago or maybe even a year ago for a bit one night and we referenced TRKs as being the Ferrari of the chip world. They're usually older, they're vintage, they're beautiful, classic, gain value and so much more. Paulsons and other chips do too, but TRKs to me and others are a step and a half above everything else. That's one reason you don't see TRK sets for sale too often. Once you get them, you find out what they are and you fall in love. It's so hard to let go of them because you never know if you'll ever be able to get them back.

I'm sure there are others that haven't gotten the right TRKs yet either so @louBdub you aren't by yourself and I can agree with others that you can't judge chips by just one rack. I know that you did buy the other TRKs which were just monogrammed, but those weren't anything special. Once you feel let's say Overland $1s or something HEAVY in quantity you'll understand. Leaded TRKs will bring a premium as many other leaded chips, but let me tell you... they're so worth it!

I can agree that there are a lot of TRKs that are ugly, but there are SO MANY that are amazing and stand out from the rest. They're truly special!
I can understand all of that. You know my HotRod set has a plethora of different chips, different weights, vintage years, and I can definitely say I love some chips more than others. They have that special “something”

I think the least expensive option is to get my ass to a meet up and play with a TRK grail set, so I can set myself straight and form a true opinion.

My small test shots so far were all off target. I need a bullseye.

I hated the monogrammed set I had…was so excited to get them and then instantly disappointed in the feel, weight, & sound after getting them in my hands. So, then, I just deduced that I needed some leaded TRK’s to understand…which I still haven’t bought yet. So it’s good to know that not all leaded TRKs are the same…but which ones will make me understand? We need a traveling barrel or something…

I hated the monogrammed set I had…was so excited to get them and then instantly disappointed in the feel, weight, & sound after getting them in my hands. So, then, I just deduced that I needed some leaded TRK’s to understand…which I still haven’t bought yet. So it’s good to know that not all leaded TRKs are the same…but which ones will make me understand? We need a traveling barrel or something…
I mean there's quite a few, but hmm let me think. Fitzgeralds $25s, Riverside $5s, Money Tree $25s (cyan or green), Mapes $25s (iirc), New China chips, Kings Crown $5s (yellow), Pick Hobson roulette, almost almost anything Reno from the 60s tbh. A majority of them were leaded, those guys knew what they were doing when they were ordering TRKs.

If anyone is up for having a barrel of leaded TRKs shipped around so everyone can feel them I'd be happy to lend a barrel or whatever Pick Hobson roulettes I have. I'll have to weigh them tonight (if I get the chance), but they're heavy and shuffle really well.

If anyone is up for having a barrel of leaded TRKs shipped around so everyone can feel them I'd be happy to lend a barrel or whatever Pick Hobson roulettes I have. I'll have to weigh them tonight (if I get the chance), but they're heavy and shuffle really well.
I’d love to be involved if those will help get the feel of the best TRKs. I have some rugged plastic barrel protectors I could add.

Fuck me don’t even try sending me one, last thing I need is another obsession, ok I’ll post a wanted ad, full leaded trk cash set 6+ racks of $5s, cya never

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom