Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (20 Viewers)

We should let rip-off threads die instead of bumping them into relevance.

If you are someone that gets banned because of iceman I'm going to laugh at you, not him :LOL: :laugh:
77EA00FB-83D0-4678-831F-07F903C1DFB1.png

Damn right! It needed to be said! My next cash set is going to have 200 fracs JUST to put people on tilt!! LMAO

I do, in fact, have 200 solids in my custom cash set ***which I never use*** ******just because maybe someday we’ll have some reason to bump down stakes*******.

Though I did at the last minute change them from 25¢ to undenominated, so that they might actually be more useful (say, if I ever need $20s for a limit game. Also highly unlikely).

All that said... The 200 NCV solids were by far the least expensive part of the set, so whatever Efficiency Nazis.

I do, in fact, have 200 solids in my custom cash set ***which I never use*** ******just because maybe someday we’ll have some reason to bump down stakes*******.
I thought that when I bought nickels for my 25¢-25¢ game with a $20 buy-in.

Then I taught them pot-limit circus games, and one guy was down $100 - using the 5¢ chips.

There's always a reason for more chips.

We should let rip-off threads die instead of bumping them into relevance.

If you are someone that gets banned because of iceman I'm going to laugh at you, not him :LOL: :laugh:
Agree. The most obvious shitty sales threads are just pages of bumps w no comments.
I don't disagree with this, but I also think we need some modifications to the no thread crapping rule. The problem with just letting them die is that sometimes they don't. Sometimes they end because someone fell for it and bought the chips. After all, the folks who are getting in trouble for these posts are doing so for admirable reasons. They are trying to protect less informed and newer members who haven't yet gotten a feel for assessing actual market value. There's a difference to me in someone who's just trying to make a little money on their chips and may have them overpriced a bit, and someone who is clearly trying to take advantage of less knowledgeable members. I think it's our responsibility to call out the latter.

Respectful questions to the seller asking them to provide details about the history of the chips and justification for pricing should be allowed.

Pointing out that similar or identical chips sold recently for a vastly different price ought to be allowed.

Posting a link to a classified where the seller recently bought the same chips from previously should be allowed.

Probably a few more. Should a buyer do their own due diligence to try and find this information themself? Sure. But we all know the good stuff that's priced right often goes very quickly, and it can often be difficult for a n00bie to differentiate a good deal from a bad one in an instant.

And no, badgering and insulting the seller should not be allowed. But I think that as a community, looking out for our newer and lesser informed members ought to be more important than allowing them to be taken advantage of. We're supposed to be a community first.

I don't disagree with this, but I also think we need some modifications to the no thread crapping rule. The problem with just letting them die is that sometimes they don't. Sometimes they end because someone fell for it and bought the chips. After all, the folks who are getting in trouble for these posts are doing so for admirable reasons. They are trying to protect less informed and newer members who haven't yet gotten a feel for assessing actual market value. There's a difference to me in someone who's just trying to make a little money on their chips and may have them overpriced a bit, and someone who is clearly trying to take advantage of less knowledgeable members. I think it's our responsibility to call out the latter.

Respectful questions to the seller asking them to provide details about the history of the chips and justification for pricing should be allowed.

Pointing out that similar or identical chips sold recently for a vastly different price ought to be allowed.

Posting a link to a classified where the seller recently bought the same chips from previously should be allowed.

Probably a few more. Should a buyer do their own due diligence to try and find this information themself? Sure. But we all know the good stuff that's priced right often goes very quickly, and it can often be difficult for a n00bie to differentiate a good deal from a bad one in an instant.

And no, badgering and insulting the seller should not be allowed. But I think that as a community, looking out for our newer and lesser informed members ought to be more important than allowing them to be taken advantage of. We're supposed to be a community first.
This post is very well thought out and sensible and therefore has no place on PCF.

Damn right! It needed to be said! My next cash set is going to have 200 fracs JUST to put people on tilt!! LMAO
200 quarters make a lot of sense because a $25 buyin game could start with a barrel of quarters and ones. Perfect, IMO.

Ideal set for max efficiency: 100/200/200/80/20
Ideal set balancing efficiency and nice starting stacks: 200/200/200/80/20

I’ve played in a game where ~300 $5s got onto the table and at that point there were diminishing returns, so at the risk of getting shot, moar $5s aren’t better.

I’ve played in a game where ~300 $5s got onto the table and at that point there were diminishing returns, so at the risk of getting shot, moar $5s aren’t better.
I'm inclined to agree that if you have 200 fracs and 200 $1s getting 300 $5s is a lot, averaging 70 chips per player, but in practice, one or two players will amass a pile 2x the average in physical chips.

However, if you are planning on using the set 20 years from now, you may not be using the fracs anymore. $100 in 2004 is about the same as $162 today, and that (aside from the recent correction), is well below the historical average. If you are playing a 25¢-50¢ game today, in 20 years, you could expect to be playing 50¢-$1, and that is if your disposable income remains constant.

If you are in college or a recent graduate, you can expect to have considerably more expendable income in 20 years, and may want to increase stakes accordingly. If you still have children at home, in 20 years, you will likely find that you have a lot of extra income because you are no longer feeding/clothing/paying for education of those extra people. In that case, $1-$2 games may be your preferred stakes. In that case, those fracs will only play for family games, or for high variance games, and you will want the extra $5s in play as they will be the workhorse chip in the future.

Of course, you could always get another set in 20 years, but will Paulson, or CPC still be making clay chips then, or are you going to look back and bemoan "why didn't I buy MOAR chips?"

Correct. My kids got screwed compared to what my wife now spends on our grandkids...

I ain't there yet. My eldest daughter just got asked to her first dance.... and she said "yes".

I am doomed.

Need to figure out how to scare this kid off and convince my daughter she's not allowed to date until she's 43.

I'm inclined to agree that if you have 200 fracs and 200 $1s getting 300 $5s is a lot, averaging 70 chips per player, but in practice, one or two players will amass a pile 2x the average in physical chips.

However, if you are planning on using the set 20 years from now, you may not be using the fracs anymore. $100 in 2004 is about the same as $162 today, and that (aside from the recent correction), is well below the historical average. If you are playing a 25¢-50¢ game today, in 20 years, you could expect to be playing 50¢-$1, and that is if your disposable income remains constant.

If you are in college or a recent graduate, you can expect to have considerably more expendable income in 20 years, and may want to increase stakes accordingly. If you still have children at home, in 20 years, you will likely find that you have a lot of extra income because you are no longer feeding/clothing/paying for education of those extra people. In that case, $1-$2 games may be your preferred stakes. In that case, those fracs will only play for family games, or for high variance games, and you will want the extra $5s in play as they will be the workhorse chip in the future.

Of course, you could always get another set in 20 years, but will Paulson, or CPC still be making clay chips then, or are you going to look back and bemoan "why didn't I buy MOAR chips?"
And that is how a professional chipper justifies buying an overly large cash set. I think it is prudent to have 1, 2 or 3 sets inflation proof.

I ain't there yet. My eldest daughter just got asked to her first dance.... and she said "yes".

I am doomed.

Need to figure out how to scare this kid off and convince my daughter she's not allowed to date until she's 43.
I have two daughters, but I’ve got a few years until I have that problem.

In the meantime, I try to adhere to the words of a wise person who once said something along the lines of, “raise your daughter in such a way that when she starts dating, you don’t have to tell her boyfriend to, “take care of my princess.” Rather that you’ll have to tell him, “Good luck!””
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I am doomed.

Why, teach the kid to be a chipper :). Teach the kid to be a player. In-laws are great for the game. Right @merkong?

I have two daughters, but I’ve got a few years until I have that problem.

In the meantime, I try to adhere to the words of a wise person who once said something along the lines of, “raise your daughter in such a way that when she starts dating, you don’t have to tell her boyfriend to, “take care of my princess.” Rather that you’ll have to tell him, “Good luck!””
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I also have two daughters, and I really appreciate this advice. Three years from my eldest getting to Middle School.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom