CPC General discussion thread (4 Viewers)

don’t you numberwang boffins know how to calculate the mass of a poker chip?

Should be easy to figure out if lead is 50% or 3% of that volume?

Not sure why I bother posting this when clearly nobody reads it. But it's all right here.

1706911680945.png

1706911747134.png

And you think 2.8% of the volume is lavender dye?… :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

No, I don't think, I know ~3.2% of the formula, by volume (and ~1.5% by weight), is made up of lavender and purple pigments.

And they don't use dyes, Einstein. They use pigments. Dyes are a liquid. Pigments are a powder.

You’re reading this wrong…View attachment 1266584
It’s interesting that in that line from above, it shows 1/2oz purple dye, with the amount preceding the ingredient, but the person typing then changed the order of how they list ingredients in the lower section?

I hadn’t noticed that line from the card before. It shows that on 5/2/1952, 1/2oz purple dye was used to make the 25c chips. Then the reorder from 7/28/52 of 25c chips has the whole formula showing 1/2oz purple, but only if you read it as amount/ingredient.

Last edited:
It’s interesting that in that line from above, it shows 1/2oz purple dye, with the amount preceding the ingredient, but the person typing then changed the order of how they list ingredients in the lower section?
A little dab will do ya.

Just a quick example….when adding dye to a bulk EVA hot melt adhesive (100% thermoplastic) you only need a couple teaspoons per 100 pounds of EVA to attain vibrant coloration.

A little dab will do ya.

Just a quick example….when adding dye to a bulk EVA hot melt adhesive (100% thermoplastic) you only need a couple teaspoons per 100 pounds of EVA to attain vibrant coloration.
I did edit to add a second paragraph to my earlier post, about the 1/2oz purple for 25c chips. I would think they would use the same amount of purple dye just a few months later for a reorder…which would make the formula lower in the card read as amount-ingredient.
IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg

Last edited:
I said I'm done, but clearly you guys want more proof, so here you go.

The order card lists 3 separate orders for the purple/lavender 25¢ chip. They changed the formula more than once.

In the first order from 9-19-51 the customer orders 1,000 "lavender" 25¢ chips.

Then on 5-3-52, they reorder another 1,000 25¢ chips, but this time, they decided to change the color, as the order card notes "1/2 oz purple dye added". Clearly, this addition of the purple to the already lavender chips was intended to make them a little bit darker. Note, you can also see that the color and depth of purple changed simply by looking at the chips themselves.

Then at the bottom, on 7-28-52, they order another 2,000 of these 25¢ chips. They change the formula a second time, and the full ingredient list is given. That purple "dye" was added to the formula for an already lavender chip to make it darker. So, we know that the formula has to have both the lavender color and the purple color in it, because the purple was not used in the initial order of the "lavender" chips, as the order sheet expressly states that the purple color was "added" in the second order.

And since we know that the formula uses both the lavender and the purple, we also know that the amounts of each ingredient preceeds the colors and that it is in fact "3 oz of lavender color" AND "1/2 oz of purple". Both were used.

This is also evidenced simply by looking at the chips themselves.

Screenshot_20240203_090207_Chrome.jpg

THE RECIPE SHOULD READ:

10 oz cotton (3 lbs)
barytes (7.5 lbs)
Lead silicate (3 oz)
titanium (2.5 lbs)
Dry vinyl (3 oz)
Lav Color, but add 0.5 oz of purple to whatever the procedure is for making a chip lavender

End of story.

THE RECIPE SHOULD READ:

10 oz cotton (3 lbs)
barytes (7.5 lbs)
Lead silicate (3 oz)
titanium (2.5 lbs)
Dry vinyl (3 oz)
Lav Color, but add 0.5 oz of purple to whatever the procedure is for making a chip lavender

End of story.
The recipe is fairly specific...but makes no reference to how much lav color to add?
That seems less probable than amount/ingredient, like every other recipe I've ever seen.

I imagine the recipe for each individual color is a separate document from specific recipe for these chips
But then why list all the other ingredients? I'm going with the principle that the simplest explanation, using the fewest assumptions, is usually the correct one.
To me, the typist used hyphens as separators (as in the date, instead of doing 7/28/52) and listed each item separated by the hyphen. That, coupled with the 1/2 oz purple listed in 2 places for the same 25c chips...is the simplest explanation to me.
TRK order card crop.jpg

But then why list all the other ingredients? I'm going with the principle that the simplest explanation, using the fewest assumptions, is usually the correct one.
To me, the typist used hyphens as separators (as in the date, instead of doing 7/28/52) and listed each item separated by the hyphen. That, coupled with the 1/2 oz purple listed in 2 places for the same 25c chips...is the simplest explanation to me.
View attachment 1266668
Would you agree the chip is not made of 100% thermoplastics?

Who would have thought a chip composition recipe from 1952 would be so hotly debated 72 years later.

I guess by 2052 and with a thousand more pages in this thread we might reach a consensus?

…..nah.

This has already been done
I saw that…we need more data. Let’s go for a full on organic extraction of a variety of chips.

Let’s also run through the XRD and XRF.

I think they have all this stuff on Oak island…if someone could sneak a few chips into a bore hole, then they might think they are pirate treasure and analyze the chips for us?

Any chippers in Halifax?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom