CPC General discussion thread (6 Viewers)

You're about to lose $100. Which charity would you like me to donate your funds to?

And yes, I agree that the formula is likely intended for 500 chips, although the total weight is slightly higher than your adorable interpretation yields (224.5 oz).

So you agree it is probably for 500 chips?

Remind me again how much cotton you think is in the formula for 500 chips?

So you agree it is probably for 500 chips?

Remind me again how much cotton you think is in the formula for 500 chips?

I posted this before.

1706911680945.png

Again, with your interpretation, almost half of the chip would be made up from cotton as shown by the chart below.

1706911747134.png

The article is very interesting and worth reading. Is a bit mind bending how much fibre matrix materials contain. 43% by volume of fibre is actually feasible and matches the "wrong" calcs % by volume posted earlier. Take the air out of your fluffy cotton pillow and it's now small and no longer fluffy. Infuse a matrix into that compressed pillow you will get a hard substance not obvious composed of fibres.

The article is very interesting and worth reading. Is a bit mind bending how much fibre matrix materials contain. 43% by volume of fibre is actually feasible and matches the "wrong" calcs % by volume posted earlier. Take the air out of your fluffy cotton pillow and it's now small and no longer fluffy. Infuse a matrix into that compressed pillow you will get a hard substance not obvious composed of fibres.
You read it wrong.

Read what wrong? When I say "wrong" calcs I'm referring to the version that was 22% by weight and 43% by volume. "Wrong" in quotes as it seems to be the unpopular interpretation.
I actually posted that calc before @RainmanTrail and have the same interpretation as you.
Totally kidding…referencing the spirit of this argument.

I think we are on the same page…but I might be misinterpreting.

Totally kidding…referencing the spirit of this argument.

I think we are on the same page…but I might be misinterpreting.
I'm tempted to take that bet offered earlier, such big return for small investment.
Hmm... take a clay chip and break it down to extract fibres... find out how much fibre is there.

I'm tempted to take that bet offered earlier, such big return.
Hmm... take a clay chip and break it down to extract fibres... find out how much fibre is there.
Grind a few up into a fine powder and then break down with cellulase, figure out how much cotton you started with based on the glucose you got. Any physical chemists in the room?

Grind a few up into a fine powder and then break down with cellulase, figure out how much cotton you started with based on the glucose you got. Any physical chemists in the room?
One barrier is to confirm the 1852 recipe cotton proportions you would need break down a 1852 chip. Recipe could have changed since then.

You could just do an organic extraction…or heat it up (2000 degrees?). to burn off everything but the mineral content.

You could just do an organic extraction…or heat it up (2000 degrees?). to burn off everything but the mineral content.
One approach. Best to try multiple methods that compliment. Burnoff may reveal inorganic percent (depending on the inorganics?). Grind and manual sort may reveal percent of fibre.

I've got free access to a lab at work... tempted to grind up a few CPC and sort under a microscope. Do it in small portions of a chip at a time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom