CPC General discussion thread (4 Viewers)

Thanks, that's what I thought!
But, I'm a little confused....
It's all laid out pretty well on the website, but if I remember, it was a little difficult to find some of the details. But if I recall, it states that you can only have one color with less than 50 chips, barring permission from David. I would suggest if your needs are different than what it states that you just talk to him. I believe he will be reasonable as long as you are too.

Also, keep in mind that when ordering a set, there are a lot of sample set collectors here, so you may be able to order enough extras for sample sets to get up over the 50 chips limit if you are close.

The more chips you order in total, the more flexible they seem to get with minimums and special requests. Either just so, or if you pay a certain premium.

Also, keep in mind that when ordering a set, there are a lot of sample set collectors here, so you may be able to order enough extras for sample sets to get up over the 50 chips limit if you are close.
Not just this, but also keep in mind you may want to have a few guaranteed spares in case a chip breaks or goes MIA. Given the minimums and also lead times, you can't just order another piece of design XY on the fly and who knows how long CPC will still be operational. The bonus chips they usually supply aren't guaranteed and even if you do get some, you never know how many. So I always ended up explicitly ordering more chips which I would keep in the closet as reserve.

The more chips you order in total, the more flexible they seem to get with minimums and special requests. Either just so, or if you pay a certain premium.

Not just this, but also keep in mind you may want to have a few guaranteed spares in case a chip breaks or goes MIA. Given the minimums and also lead times, you can't just order another piece of design XY on the fly and who knows how long CPC will still be operational. The bonus chips they usually supply aren't guaranteed and even if you do get some, you never know how many. So I always ended up explicitly ordering more chips which I would keep in the closet as reserve.
@TX_Golf_N_Poker
Thanks for the advice. Probably having the following breakdown in mind, it’s worth asking David.

0.25$- 100
1$ - 200
5 $ - 180
20$ - 20

25$- 120
100$-120
500$- 50(60)
1000$ - 75
5000$ - 35
And obviously I will add 5%-10%(or +10 chip) to each denomination.
With this breakdown, I can get 2 sets in one order and this fits into the “ideal” ideas about the breakdown that exist on the forum.
To be honest, I'm a little overloaded with chips... :rolleyes:
And I can’t clearly explain to my wife why I need more...:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I don't think I'll get more than 10 players. Mostly these are home games with relatives. And I still don’t like the idea of having one BIG set ($1-1000$) for all cases. (even though we now play just such a set (for cash ($1-100$) in tournaments. And it works great, but still, I want change) and it’s a shame when not all the chips are in the suitcase see the game.

Angry New York GIF

@TX_Golf_N_Poker
Thanks for the advice. Probably having the following breakdown in mind, it’s worth asking David.

0.25$- 100
1$ - 200
5 $ - 180
20$ - 20

25$- 120
100$-120
500$- 50(60)
1000$ - 75
5000$ - 35
With this breakdown, I can get 2 sets in one order and this fits into the “ideal” ideas about the breakdown that exist on the forum.

I don't think I'll get more than 10 players. Mostly these are home games with relatives. And I still don’t like the idea of having one BIG set ($1-1000$) for all cases. (even though we now play just such a set (for cash ($1-100$) in tournaments. And it works great, but still, I want change) and it’s a shame when not all the chips are in the suitcase see the game.

From CPC's price page:

"We require a minimum order of 300 chips. Within a 300 chip set you can have up to 3 unique chips. In a 400 chip set up to 4, and in a 500 up to 5 etc"

Looks like you're pretty much there regarding a min qty.

From CPC's price page:

"We require a minimum order of 300 chips. Within a 300 chip set you can have up to 3 unique chips. In a 400 chip set up to 4, and in a 500 up to 5 etc"

Looks like you're pretty much there regarding a min qty.
Yes. Surprisingly, both sets do not overlap in color, fit into the norm and with such a breakdown they can turn out to be very functional. And there will be no bored chips. I have probably a few hundred that never saw a table.

@TX_Golf_N_Poker

0.25$- 100
1$ - 200
5 $ - 180
20$ - 20

25$- 120
100$-120
500$- 50(60)
1000$ - 75
5000$ - 35

If you changed the $1000 chip to $2000 you could easily get rid of the $5000. Seems unnecessary for a max table of ten. We all have our own reasons for doing things the way we do. I am just thinking out loud. Best wishes on your set!!

Color difference of Grey from ASM to CPC. CPC is lighter chip on the left. ASM chip on the right. Both new. Obviously you can get slight variations from batch to batch. Don't bother me personally. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.View attachment 1261708
It is interesting. How do we separate colour difference due to age or use versus differences due to batch?

Batch to batch they are pretty good.

David has said there were some changes to the pigments several years ago, especially from ASM (Maine or Vegas) to CPC.

I have ASM chips with CPC add-ons over a decade later that are identical. I have ASM chips with ASM add-ons that are subtly different despite being made two years apart.

@Huskerchipper 's example, I almost say it's a combination. We know ASM's normal (not bright) white became brighter during their time in Maine and CPC white is brighter than those. It's possible the gray got a bit brighter as part of that whole process as well.

It is interesting. How do we separate colour difference due to age or use versus differences due to batch?
I can tell you that the darker Grey ones were made in 2009 and have been stored in a safe dark place away from sunlight almost the entire time. Covered clean and secure under my bed...lol. I think I used some of them once, maybe twice on Thanksgiving years ago. I have some other chips where the differences are very subtle or exactly the same as before. As an example the Retro Blue is identical. I will be sharing better pictures of them soon.

I have original Club Cleopatras HHR from i guess late 80's early 90's, add on from when they were in Vegas around 2011/2012
. Then another add on in 2019 and another in 2023. Colors are consistent on a lot of colors. Some Day Glo colors are brighter
now. That would probably be a pigment change. The chips look great!

I can tell you that the darker Grey ones were made in 2009 and have been stored in a safe dark place away from sunlight almost the entire time. Covered clean and secure under my bed...lol. I think I used some of them once, maybe twice on Thanksgiving years ago. I have some other chips where the differences are very subtle or exactly the same as before. As an example the Retro Blue is identical. I will be sharing better pictures of them soon.
Yeah, pretty close to unused.

Not sure about the chemistry of ASM/CPC's chips, but depending on materials and pigments, age can alter colors of materials even when stored in a dark and dry place. I remember having 2 LEGO sets with a lot of white parts, bought at the same time (but probably packed from different batches of parts), stored together nicely for 15 years, and after taking them out I saw that the whites on one of them got very much yellowed. Older grey parts also got a warmer tint after a while.

@LeGold plastic parts tend to yellow.
See old keyboards, old video game consoles, ...

If they are stored the same way and not exposed to daylight, I wouldn't have expected big differences thought.

If they are stored the same way and not exposed to daylight, I wouldn't have expected big differences thought.

The yellowing of plastics is reversible though. It's caused by oxidation. You can deoxidize it with hydrogen peroxide and UV exposure. Look up "retrobrighting" videos on YouTube if you want to see how it's done.

The yellowing of plastics is reversible though. It's caused by oxidation. You can deoxidize it with hydrogen peroxide and UV exposure. Look up "retrobrighting" videos on YouTube if you want to see how it's done.

I thought this process made the plastic more fragile.

Yeah, I know. We don't know the exact formula of CPC clay, wasn't there some plastic involved too?
[Edit: I got corrected on that, the answer is no.]

Last edited:
I would wager good money that David is wrong and that they are in fact plastic. And yes, I fully recognize how silly it is for me to make such a claim when the owner of CPC says otherwise. But I've also done a fair amount of research on this, and I'd be willing to place a large wager on it being the case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom