Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (54 Viewers)

I'm pretty new to this game, so my opinion may not hold much water. But here goes. Obviously cocktails are adding things to your whiskey, so you're not going to appreciate all the nuances of the spirit. My sweet spot for cocktails is 100 proof. I also like Rye in cocktails more often than bourbon, but the same thought holds true. I like OF Bottled in Bond Rye and I just picked up a Wild Turkey 101 Rye that I haven't cracked yet, but expect to be excellent in cocktails. Both of these are under $24 here. For bourbons, I just don't put my best stuff that I like neat in cocktails. I'd never put my ECBP or anything that's been finished in a sherry, port or rum barrel, such as my Angel's Envy, in a cocktail, other than maybe in a Old Fashioned, since there's not too much in there besides the whiskey. Basically, the more complex the cocktail, the more likely I am to just use good, easy to find, reasonably priced 100 or 101 proof whiskeys.
All true and wise. But you haven't lived until you've had an Alberta Premium Old Fashioned. :p Not wise. But delicious!

I'm pretty new to this game, so my opinion may not hold much water. But here goes. Obviously cocktails are adding things to your whiskey, so you're not going to appreciate all the nuances of the spirit. My sweet spot for cocktails is 100 proof. I also like Rye in cocktails more often than bourbon, but the same thought holds true. I like OF Bottled in Bond Rye and I just picked up a Wild Turkey 101 Rye that I haven't cracked yet, but expect to be excellent in cocktails. Both of these are under $24 here. For bourbons, I just don't put my best stuff that I like neat in cocktails. I'd never put my ECBP or anything that's been finished in a sherry, port or rum barrel, such as my Angel's Envy, in a cocktail, other than maybe in a Old Fashioned, since there's not too much in there besides the whiskey. Basically, the more complex the cocktail, the more likely I am to just use good, easy to find, reasonably priced 100 or 101 proof whiskeys.
OF Rye and WT101 rye will always make you a quality cocktail, but I do think certain higher proof, higher priced ryes make an even better old fashioned providing you use quality ingredients throughout.

An old fashioned with that Alberta Premium is divine!!

Scott beat me to the punch lol

Plus I have a couple other friends who bourbon hunt so they can possibly get me a bottle if they find it. Luckily for me they are regulars at our poker games and bbqs so we get to share the bottles together.

All true and wise. But you haven't lived until you've had an Alberta Premium Old Fashioned. :p Not wise. But delicious!
OF Rye and WT101 rye will always make you a quality cocktail, but I do think certain higher proof, higher priced ryes make an even better old fashioned providing you use quality ingredients throughout.

An old fashioned with that Alberta Premium is divine!!

Scott beat me to the punch lol
I did make an exception in my answer for Old Fashioneds. And I do sometimes make them for myself with my higher proof ryes. I would LOVE to one day find a bottle of Alberta Premium Cask and make myself an Old Fashioned with it!

I did make an exception in my answer for Old Fashioneds. And I do sometimes make them for myself with my higher proof ryes. I would LOVE to one day find a bottle of Alberta Premium Cask and make myself an Old Fashioned with it!
I use tequila around the 40-50 dollar a bottle range for my margaritas and ranch waters because gosh darnit, I'm worth it! lol

Question for the brain trust: a very good well-priced bourbon for cocktails?
4 Roses single barrels at $35ish or Knob Creek at $28ish, both 100 proof and lovely in most cocktails.

Alberta Premium Manhattans are where it's at

I'll keep checking around me. That's part of the fun I think is finding them too lol
Let me know if you find more than one bottle (at around retail) before the meetup in January, and I'll do the same for you here in Houston.
All the unicorns are silly prices in the city. But wait…hello…

View attachment 1033203

…they had two…. *evil grin*
So according to BoozeApp, this is actually WAY below MSRP of $69.99. Is that right?

Time to grill and drink

39E17DBE-F56D-40C7-A098-94BDA734442D.jpeg

C56FDD00-806E-4170-B799-04A3ED9002E2.jpeg

Yea that's an all time price there
Pennsylvania had a close out sale on the Alberta Premium for about $35 a bottle a few months ago. I tried to get my cousin to buy me as many bottles as he could find but they were gone. $35 damn dollars! I was genuinely upset when he couldn’t find any :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Yep.

I was feeling pretty cool until I just saw this:

View attachment 1033421

I mean, that’s an insane price.
I tend to think if I see a "too good to be true" price on the internet, that it may not be legit. I was asking the other day about a site that was offering WL Weller for $70. Pretty sure it was a scam.

I tend to think if I see a "too good to be true" price on the internet, that it may not be legit. I was asking the other day about a site that was offering WL Weller for $70. Pretty sure it was a scam.
$70 is where it use to be around me. Like $70ish with tax even. But $70 on the internet would make me a skeptic too.

I’ll be in Austin next Wednesday through Friday. Want one?
@toothpic Go for it man. That's a lot better price than the one I found, AND faster delivery.

Although now I'm thinking about buying a whole case. Maybe by January you'll be ready for another bottle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom