Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (28 Viewers)

Was your RyeFinity bottle well planned out, or did you just add some of everything you liked / had? I want to do infinity bottles for both Rye and Bourbon, but I don't really know where to start... I have 4 bottles of Rye right now and I'm planning to buy a bottle of Alberta Premium tomorrow. And I'll be buying more in the near future.
It was just pours of stuff that I really liked. Both the rye and bourbon infinity bottles I did this year turned out really good by just using anything I liked. The one constant for me was putting mainly barrel strength whiskies into the infinity bottles.

The beauty of these is that there’s no wrong choice! It’s your creation and whatever direction you take that bottle is entirely up to you. As your palate develops, you’ll be able to taste your infinity bottle and determine what it needs to get better. It’s a fun way to experiment with your collection!

I had a feeling I might get lucky today @Billy Baroo ...

PXL_20221203_165028272.jpg

Thanks! I've become more and more of a fan of Heaven Hill, so I'm really curious to know what this one is like. But I won't find out until Friday... This will be the ceremonial bottle to crack open at the beginning of poker night.
IMHO this is their best batch this year (and their best batch in the last two years).

IMHO this is their best batch this year (and their best batch in the last two years).
So what you're saying is... I should have bought more? There actually was a third one, but I have to leave it for someone to find.

The store also had a ton of ECBP store selection... Which was oddly priced $15 higher than the ECBP C922. Perhaps if I did better at the tables last night, I would have bought one of those as well.

So what you're saying is... I should have bought more? There actually was a third one, but I have to leave it for someone to find.

The store also had a ton of ECBP store selection... Which was oddly priced $15 higher than the ECBP C922. Perhaps if I did better at the tables last night, I would have bought one of those as well.
That's pretty standard, the private barrels are usually 10-15 bucks more, which usually puts the price in my "eh" range. For $70-75, I'll usually buy 2 to 3 bottles. At $85 to $90, I may splurge but I'm more likely to pass unless I know it's a very good barrel.

I bought two bottles of C922 a couple of weeks ago and one is almost gone, I need to find at least one more.

That's pretty standard, the private barrels are usually 10-15 bucks more, which usually puts the price in my "eh" range. For $70-75, I'll usually buy 2 to 3 bottles. At $85 to $90, I may splurge but I'm more likely to pass unless I know it's a very good barrel.

I bought two bottles of C922 a couple of weeks ago and one is almost gone, I need to find at least one more.
I don't really understand that. They have so much selection of their ECBP store pick, why would it be that much more expensive than bottles they only get 4 at a time. Sure, I can see a Makers Mark store selection being a little more expensive than the standard run of the mill MM that you see on every shelf. But if there is a special MM that only came out in small batches, I would expect that to be more expensive than the store pick.

The good news is it seems that c922 is still being shipped out to stores since stuff in my area of NJ is still getting them. So hopefully you'll be able to find that third bottle.

I don't really understand that. They have so much selection of their ECBP store pick, why would it be that much more expensive than bottles they only get 4 at a time. Sure, I can see a Makers Mark store selection being a little more expensive than the standard run of the mill MM that you see on every shelf. But if there is a special MM that only came out in small batches, I would expect that to be more expensive than the store pick.

The good news is it seems that c922 is still being shipped out to stores since stuff in my area of NJ is still getting them. So hopefully you'll be able to find that third bottle.

Overall there are a lot more bottles of the standard offering like C922, so I'm assuming there's an economy of scale. The private barrel is them getting one barrel on their own, so the selection process/label/shipping is likely more labor intensive and there's probably a premium on being able to have a private selection, so the bottle costs more for them to buy. BUT they're getting everything that comes out of that barrel so they get more bottles to sell, they're not competing with 1000 other liquor stores, like they are for the standard releases. That'd be my guess.

NJ seemed to always be about month behind in distribution this year, so hopefully more are on the way.

I’ll add that private barrels have the potential to be really special! Some stores don’t give a shit and tell the distillery just give us a barrel that yields the most bottles…BUT…find you a store that is known for taking the time to personally pick their barrels and great things can happen. Become a good customer at that store, make friends with the employee’s/proprietor and they’ll take care of you.

My local has a great track record with private barrels. They allow a few local whiskey clubs to make their selections or the managers of that store will make the pick themselves…either way, they almost always have private selections that are fantastic! I’m pretty tight now with a few of the managers there and they most definitely hook me up when they can!

I could drink a lot of this Knob 18. Miles better than the 15 and 12.
I'm going to wait for my bottle of 18 to open up some more than going to do a full flight. The 18 is definitely better than the 15, jury's still out on the 12 for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom