Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (57 Viewers)

234172FA-A7AB-43E7-B2BA-196F7F31DC35.jpeg

Col. Beam up first. The color is much lighter than the other two. Not much going on with the nose. Some sweet vanilla. But it’s weak. Palate is vanilla, young oak and spice. Good burn on the finish, but it’s pretty drying. It’s not bad. But I think I’d rather have regular old 9yr Knob Creek over this.

Jacob’s Well is next. Much darker color. The nose is WOW. I think I said in my first review of this that it’s one of the best noses I’ve ever had. There is so much depth and deliciousness there. It’s all the smells you want, perfectly balanced. Palate is aged oak, those sugar coated raisins from Raisin Bran, and a long spice finish. It’s better than I remember. And damn, that nose is amazing.

Knob Creek 18yr is last. Really dark color, about the same as the Jacob’s Well. The nose is absolutely amazing. On par with the Jacob’s Well, but maybe a bit darker in a good way. Palate is caramel chews, brown sugar, good baking spices and old oak. The Beam nuttiness is showing after a few sips. It’s so well balanced. The finish is more intense than Jacob’s Well, but also more drying oak.

Both Jacob’s Well and Knob Creek 18yr are excellent if you can get them near MSRP.

Maybe I should post this in the "Controversial Opinions" thread, but here goes.

I know it's not cask strength. It's not even BiB. Just a lowly 93 proof.

And I know I'm one of the least experienced ones here on this topic.

But damn! This is sooooo tasty. I think this is the single most enjoyable bourbon I've tried since I started this new journey a couple of months ago.

Now I think I understand what I have to look forward to when I finally try my "1915" blend.

20221206_212707.jpg

Col. Beam up first. The color is much lighter than the other two. Not much going on with the nose. Some sweet vanilla. But it’s weak. Palate is vanilla, young oak and spice. Good burn on the finish, but it’s pretty drying. It’s not bad. But I think I’d rather have regular old 9yr Knob Creek over this.

Jacob’s Well is next. Much darker color. The nose is WOW. I think I said in my first review of this that it’s one of the best noses I’ve ever had. There is so much depth and deliciousness there. It’s all the smells you want, perfectly balanced. Palate is aged oak, those sugar coated raisins from Raisin Bran, and a long spice finish. It’s better than I remember. And damn, that nose is amazing.

Knob Creek 18yr is last. Really dark color, about the same as the Jacob’s Well. The nose is absolutely amazing. On par with the Jacob’s Well, but maybe a bit darker in a good way. Palate is caramel chews, brown sugar, good baking spices and old oak. The Beam nuttiness is showing after a few sips. It’s so well balanced. The finish is more intense than Jacob’s Well, but also more drying oak.

Both Jacob’s Well and Knob Creek 18yr are excellent if you can get them near MSRP.
I'm confused. You have Hardin's Creek on the little sample bottle by glass #1, and then a big Hardin's Creek bottle behind glass #2. Where's the Jacob's Well bottle? Oh well, at least you don't have a bottle of hand lotion in the background of your pic. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I'm confused. You have Hardin's Creek on the little sample bottle by glass #1, and then a big Hardin's Creek bottle behind glass #2. Where's the Jacob's Well bottle? Oh well, at least you don't have a bottle of hand lotion in the background of your pic. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
The sample is Colonel Beam from @Billy Baroo. The big bottle is Jacob’s Well. Both are offerings from Hardin’s Creek, a project by Freddie Noe for Beam.

1670392108809.jpeg

Maybe I should post this in the "Controversial Opinions" thread, but here goes.

I know it's not cask strength. It's not even BiB. Just a lowly 93 proof.

And I know I'm one of the least experienced ones here on this topic.

But damn! This is sooooo tasty. I think this is the single most enjoyable bourbon I've tried since I started this new journey a couple of months ago.

Now I think I understand what I have to look forward to when I finally try my "1915" blend.

View attachment 1035798
I think 1910 is my favorite of the Old Fo series, 1920 gets all the attention. To me it feels like a lot of the other “toasted” bourbons out there right now without all of the hype and with a better execution than most of the other attainable ones.

The sample is Colonel Beam from @Billy Baroo. The big bottle is Jacob’s Well. Both are offerings from Hardin’s Creek, a project by Freddie Noe for Beam.

View attachment 1035814
Thank you for enlightening me. I guess recognizing all the unique kinds of whiskey by their bottles is a lot like recognizing chips by their edge spots. I'm not very good at either one...

Pretty much sums up my opinion of it as well except for I got a TON of peanut funk on the nose and palate. It’s a decent pour, but I think I would take regular KC 9yr over this as well.

Jacobs Well certainly carries a WOW factor for me as well.

To elaborate on the nose... I've left my glass on the bar and walked away. Come back, and don't even need to nose the glass... there's an aroma that's so good and strong, it's like a delicious whiskey candle from a couple feet away.

Great bottle!

WTF, I literally took those to my UPS store 20 hours before you got them. They must have found their way onto the UPS express truck! Enjoy them thoroughly, my friend.

(I have an open FAE01 and FAE02, plus one backup of each. I adore them. Definitely different than each other, and very excellent for the $60.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom