Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (62 Viewers)

I'm heading to my first bourbon raffle tonight. I like to joke that my flavor profile is "on sale", but my typical bottles are Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek 9, Makers 46, Old Forester 1920...so nothing really over the $50-$60 price point. Below is the full list of what is being offered. I've heard of some items before but would like to get some insight on what I should be targeting. Some items have the same name but different prices, assuming those are just different years and they left off the year. I'd like to get your thoughts on any bottles that are a must, any to avoid or at least dont waste a raffle opportunity on, etc. Appreciate the input. I'm sure there will be a ton of people there, it says there are 100 bottles total, but they didnt give quantities of what.

I'll be using my "One Time!". ;)

NamePrice
Blanton's Original Single Barrel$74.99
Eagle Rare Kentucky Bourbon$41.99
Stagg Jr. Bourbon Whiskey$52.99
Old Weller Antique 107$59.99
Old Rip Van Winkl 10$89.99
Old Rip 12$99.99
Pappy Van Winkle 15$154.99
EH Taylor Single Barrel$69.99
Weller 12 Yr$44.99
Elmer T Lee Single Barrel$45.99
Elijah Craigh 12 Yr$69.99
Weller Wheated Cypb$59.99
1792 Full Proof Bour$49.99
Elijah Craig 18 Yr$159.99
Henry Mckenna Single Barrel$42.99
Weller Full Proof Bourbon$59.99
Larceny Barrel Proof$62.99
Willet Single Barrel$279.99
Buffalo Trace Kosher Wheat$79.99
Buffalo Trace Kosher Rye$79.99
Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel$59.99
1792 12 Yr$54.99
Makers Mark Wood 2021$69.99
Willet Single Barrel$129.99
Willet Single Barrel$229.99
Smoke Wagon Small Batch$59.99
Willet Wheated 8 Yr Bourbon$204.99
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon$159.99
Makers Wood Fs 2022$64.99
Smoke Wagon Bib Rye$74.99
Well, I struck out. Based off raffle ticket #'s (and my eyes), estimating 500+ people were there. My buddy's ticket was drawn on the 4th to last draw and he picked up Larceny Barrel Proof. Thanks for all the feedback.

II remains my favorite

20221209_205330.jpg

View attachment 1037710
Got cold decked all night. Home for a nightcap
I still have an unopened bottle of the original cask strength that I'm reluctant to open. When I heard that they were changing it, I went out I was able to buy six of them. It was one of my favorite bourbons for both sipping and mixing. I was really upset when they decided to go to 108.3. How does this one compare to the original?

I still have an unopened bottle of the original cask strength that I'm reluctant to open. When I heard that they were changing it, I went out I was able to buy six of them. It was one of my favorite bourbons for both sipping and mixing. I was really upset when they decided to go to 108.3. How does this one compare to the original?
I’ve only had the 108.3 version, so I have no baseline for comparison. I would be comfortable assuming that they’re pretty similar if not the same profile wise.

It’s kinda like the old vs new label OF1920…some swear that they’re different and others (myself included) think they’re exactly the same.

I’ve only had the 108.3 version, so I have no baseline for comparison. I would be comfortable assuming that they’re pretty similar if not the same profile wise.

It’s kinda like the old vs new label OF1920…some swear that they’re different and others (myself included) think they’re exactly the same.
I'm one of those people that swears OF1920 has changed. I guess I'll just have to pickup the 108.3 and see for myself.

Part of what I really liked about it was its versatility. It was great neat, but it was also high enough proof where when used in an old fashioned would not lose any of the great flavors.

I'm a big Bourbon County fan. I have a case of 2018 in the cellar, as well as maybe a dozen additional assorted bottles from 2016-2022.

I went to a beer share last night and brought a 2015 Regal Rye (aged in rye whiskey barrels with blackberries, cherries, and sea salt). In spite of being a little past the "age up to 5 years" recommendation, it was still outstanding and one of the best bottles of the night.

I think we can agree that store picks in general are good to great, some flat out excellent.

Something about the Woodinville private selections just hit different. It's been said before, if you see one, buy it.

I've had 8 different ones now, many that have dominated in blinds vs. heavy hitters.

This one is no exception.

8695E79C-B56D-4FE9-8739-10372CABEDBD.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom