Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (55 Viewers)

I think we can agree that store picks in general are good to great, some flat out excellent.

Something about the Woodinville private selections just hit different. It's been said before, if you see one, buy it.

I've had 8 different ones now, many that have dominated in blinds vs. heavy hitters.

This one is no exception.

View attachment 1038076
I’ve now had 5 different ones and I must agree…they all were fantastic!

Another great store pick! This one will be ridiculously good if it opens up even just a little bit.
EE0CD8B6-8B33-48AF-AC6C-A832657B55F6.jpeg

Last pour of the night for me is Sam Houston 15yr. This one sits on the back of a shelf, and I always forget about it. But damn, it’s so delicious!

I didn’t get a photo this time, but it’s the one on the right. :LOL: :laugh:

6463CBD8-A897-47CF-A0C6-2AF5AE8428CF.jpeg

Helping a friend decide on 6-8 bottles of cheap ($20 or under) but hopefully decent-ish (for the price point) whisk(e)ys, bourbons, scotches, etc., that are at least 375ml. Also wanting to make it easy for him so one-stop shop. Chose as the most convenient retailer Total Wine.

Here are my picks based on the above criteria in no particular order:

I included a $20+ option at the end because $6 more for double the amount may be worth the “splurge”.

Other potential choices are WT101 or WT101 Rye at $19-$20 for 750ml, Old Forester 86 at $20 for 750ml (but it’s out of stock at the store nearest my friend). Any other ideas?

The goal is to allow a wide selection for people to choose from. Friend’s gonna bring to next game and we’ll figure out the order of choice.

I’m also potentially going to try to talk him into just getting one nice more expensive bottle to share, but he likes the idea of letting people take a bottle home. (Most likely, some will still get opened and shared.)

Helping a friend decide on 6-8 bottles of cheap ($20 or under) but hopefully decent-ish (for the price point) whisk(e)ys, bourbons, scotches, etc., that are at least 375ml. Also wanting to make it easy for him so one-stop shop. Chose as the most convenient retailer Total Wine.

I included a $20+ option at the end because $6 more for double the amount may be worth the “splurge”.

Other potential choices are WT101 or WT101 Rye at $19-$20 for 750ml, Old Forester 86 at $20 for 750ml (but it’s out of stock at the store nearest my friend). Any other ideas?

The goal is to allow a wide selection for people to choose from. Friend’s gonna bring to next game and we’ll figure out the order of choice.

I’m also potentially going to try to talk him into just getting one nice more expensive bottle to share, but he likes the idea of letting people take a bottle home. (Most likely, some will still get opened and shared.)
Wow, some of these prices are WAY lower than I'd come to expect. For example the Jameson Caskmates are $29.99 at the closest TW.

I wouldn't get two Jamesons that are caskmates if you are trying to get something irish.

WT101 is one of those 'hands down best bang for your buck' bottles out there. It regularly beats things 2-3x as expensive so I wouldn't hesitate to throw that out instead of the other bourbons. 375 for things like ryes are not a bad choice as they are a pretty polarizing thing and most people won't be interested so less need in quantity.

Lismore and Dewars are fine for what you are trying to do and it's hard to recommend anything that would be truly better at that price point unless you have access to some of the kirkland stuff which can be outstanding for super cheap.

Monkey Shoulder? Or does that break the price limit?

Also, I'd definitely bump up the Wild Turkey 101 bottles. Personally the extra four bucks to go from Evan Williams BiB to WT101 is a no-contest. I know that's not the case for all folks, but to me the Wild Turkey jumps up a tier that would normally run far higher than a five-spot.

Same thing for Bulleit vs. the 101 Rye, but some people really like Bulleit - if the goal is variety, I'd place the 101 in the bourbon spot and leave the Bulleit in the rye slot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom