Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (53 Viewers)

Cheers
0A7F3113-3925-4675-9159-1E2660108469.jpeg

Wow, some of these prices are WAY lower than I'd come to expect. For example the Jameson Caskmates are $29.99 at the closest TW.

I wouldn't get two Jamesons that are caskmates if you are trying to get something irish.

Yeah, at the BevMo and Target, the Caskmates are $5-$8 more per bottle. The reason I listed both is because I know one guy in our group is interested in checking out the stout one and another guy is interested in checking out the IPA one. Since the goal of the friend is to "send a bottle home" with each person (even though inevitably a bottle or three will likely be opened during this Friday's game to be shared) I think it might be okay to suggest getting one of each, but I'll make a note that maybe only one is really "necessary".

(In that case, would people recommend the stout or IPA version?)

Lismore and Dewars are fine for what you are trying to do and it's hard to recommend anything that would be truly better at that price point unless you have access to some of the kirkland stuff which can be outstanding for super cheap.

I haven't looked much at the Kirkland stuff, and I'm not sure if my friend has a Costco membership, but my vague recollection is that while Costco definitely has better bang-for-the-buck, they don't have that at the sub-$20 price range, but I could definitely be wrong.

WT101 is one of those 'hands down best bang for your buck' bottles out there. It regularly beats things 2-3x as expensive so I wouldn't hesitate to throw that out instead of the other bourbons. 375 for things like ryes are not a bad choice as they are a pretty polarizing thing and most people won't be interested so less need in quantity.
Also, I'd definitely bump up the Wild Turkey 101 bottles. Personally the extra four bucks to go from Evan Williams BiB to WT101 is a no-contest. I know that's not the case for all folks, but to me the Wild Turkey jumps up a tier that would normally run far higher than a five-spot.
I'll suggest the WT101 for sure then.

Thanks both for your responses! Sorry, I didn't see any notifications, so I just saw these now.

20% sales tax? Is that just on alcohol, or do you pay that on everything???

And then there's another tax on the volume of the bottle?
It’s a long story. Only on liquor.

Cliff’s Notes:

We had state run stores. We voted to privatize liquor sales, but that came with a catch: a big TEMPORARY tax to help cover the pensions and unemployment for those poor state employees that were losing their jobs. Like all taxes, what was temporary became permanent.

It’s a long story. Only on liquor.

Cliff’s Notes:

We had state run stores. We voted to privatize liquor sales, but that came with a catch: a big TEMPORARY tax to help cover the pensions and unemployment for those poor state employees that were losing their jobs. Like all taxes, what was temporary became permanent.
Because it would be SO DIFFICULT for the state employees to simply apply for similar jobs in the new private sector stores...

I might be able to scrounge up something that could interest you. I'll look into it tomorrow. Despite my 7 hour nap when I got home today, it is 2am where I am and should probably get some more sleep anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom