Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (47 Viewers)

77DD2CBE-47EE-4FD5-8879-203FA840880B.jpeg

Kinda cool here, thought I'd share.

My dad is a HUGE crown royal guy. It's thus what got me into whiskey as well.

He just calls and lets me know that he was gifted a surprise find... (sister in law grandpa passed away and he had this in his cabinet)

Crown Royal, only A 57 year old bottle of CR according to the tax stamp from 1965.

Quick research shows:

Crown Royal 1965 is a vintage blended Canadian whisky produced by Seagram. The tax strip indicates the youngest whisky in this bottle was distilled in 1965, meaning it was bottled in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Crown Royal is bottled in bond at 80 proof and comes in a unique 4/5 quart bottle. Crown Royal was created by the president of Seagram, Samuel Bronfman, for the 1939 royal tour of Canada. The whisky was initially only sold in Canada, but was introduced to the United States in the 1960s. It was produced in Waterloo, Ontario until the distillery there closed in 1992. Production then moved to Seagram’s plant at Gimli, Manitoba.

A Review:

Orange and Amber color. 
Very hot nose. Some burnt orange peel hints
Sweet orange nectar. Vanilla, some almonds, Long finish. Remarably smooth. Quite delicious.

DB3338C1-2D55-45BB-AC06-D29AE48C76E4.jpeg

He just calls and lets me know that he was gifted a surprise find... (sister in law grandpa passed away and he had this in his cabinet)

Crown Royal, only A 57 year old bottle of CR according to the tax stamp from 1965.

Quick research shows:

Crown Royal 1965 is a vintage blended Canadian whisky produced by Seagram. The tax strip indicates the youngest whisky in this bottle was distilled in 1965, meaning it was bottled in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Crown Royal is bottled in bond at 80 proof and comes in a unique 4/5 quart bottle. Crown Royal was created by the president of Seagram, Samuel Bronfman, for the 1939 royal tour of Canada. The whisky was initially only sold in Canada, but was introduced to the United States in the 1960s. It was produced in Waterloo, Ontario until the distillery there closed in 1992. Production then moved to Seagram’s plant at Gimli, Manitoba.

A Review:

Orange and Amber color. 
Sweet orange nectar. Vanilla, some almonds, Long finish. Remarably smooth. Quite delicious.

View attachment 1040692
This is some cool stuff. I love a bit of whiskey history. I suppose the bottle doesn't state if it was produced for one market or the other?

Quick research shows:

A Review:

Orange and Amber color. 

View attachment 1040692
Very cool story. So is your dad going to keep it unopened, or pop it and try it? What is it likely to taste like after all these years? Will it have changed? A lot, or a little?

I suppose the bottle doesn't state if it was produced for one market or the other?

I don't have all the details yet, but will find out and report back if it does.

So is your dad going to keep it unopened, or pop it and try it? What is it likely to taste like after all these years? Will it have changed?

He made it sound like he's gonna hold off opening it for a bit, but no reason really (other than researching it some). A quick glance doesn't show it as super valuable, but in line with some quality bottles of today (150-225 range).

I'm curious about that review on the nose, palate and finish as well. Sounds great, and that review wasn't too old from someone who has opened a new bottle they acquired and sampled. Only thing that seems off is the description of a long finish for something so low proof.

I finally opened my Leopold bros 3 chamber. Minnick loved this but some other reviews didn’t. I’ve had this bottle for a while and just waiting to open it.

View attachment 1025062

At first o thought the nose wasn’t that great since I usually like fruits and sweetness. This nose was malty and yeasty? Fresh Baked bread?
When I took first sip it all made sense. It’s like baking spices and brown butter maybe some pie crust. It’s really warming and I want to sit next to fireplace. Also the mouthfeel is incredible. Really rich and oily. And the finish is medium-long with all that baking spice tingling. I freaking love it. It’s soo different that everything else I drink.
I like this bottle, but I realize I like it more intellectually. I fully support what they are trying to do. That said it does fail the QPR test for me.

What's MSRP on Alberta Cask Strength Rye now? I have a feeling dickweed store owner was being a dickweed when he quoted me on one from the case that he just got in.

What's MSRP on Alberta Cask Strength Rye now? I have a feeling dickweed store owner was being a dickweed when he quoted me on one from the case that he just got in.
Got mine for just under 70 here. 64ish plus tax if you pay cash. 67.40 plus tax otherwise

Niiiiiiiiice. My local Costco is the red-headed step child. Others get OF Birthday Bourbon, Knob 18. The best mine can do is Rare Breed Rye and that Peyton Manning Dickel toilet water. My guy quoted $89.99 for the Alberta. Like I said. Dickweed.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom