Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (56 Viewers)

Ha! I occasionally play cards with a group that is crazy split when it comes to politics, and they love to talk about it (and surprisingly remain civil and friends, go figure!). Several ultra conservative, hunter-type folks with amazing gun collections, and several bleeding heart liberals that are horrified by all that. I sit in the middle while they banter back and forth about how the world is falling apart because of the "potential" of what the other side will do, me happily drinking away. When pressed about what would it take for me to "get more involved", my answer is always the same.

"Try to take my whiskey and see what happens...."

It would be the war to end all wars lol

And seriously though, that ruling has me fascinated. As a chemical engineer by education, I'd love to take a hack at distilling. If I had less responsibilities I'd quit my job tomorrow to learn how.
I play with guys whose beliefs span the full political spectrum, and if nothing else we agree on two things:

1) Take my whiskey and see what happens,
2) STFU about politics at the table.

I would LOVE to dabble in some home distilling, and I hope this ruling makes it possible.

Costco lunch run score…

IMG_4417.jpeg

Just curious. Can you have “too much” ?
Just met a guy with 1600+ bottles. Still buying stuff left and right. He just bought 10 bottles of Michters 10 and put it aside.

I mean, you just can’t drink that much (he’s 61). I mean, cool, you’ve got a lot, but now you’re just taking stuff away from people who WILL drink it, and can’t have a chance. He did the math, at 3oz per day, it would take 44 years to drink what he has…. That seems silly.

Then again, we’ve got people with 10’s of thousands if poker chips that never but them in play …

Just met a guy with 1600+ bottles. Still buying stuff left and right. He just bought 10 bottles of Michters 10 and put it aside.

I mean, you just can’t drink that much (he’s 61). I mean, cool, you’ve got a lot, but now you’re just taking stuff away from people who WILL drink it, and can’t have a chance. He did the math, at 3oz per day, it would take 44 years to drink what he has…. That seems silly.

Then again, we’ve got people with 10’s of thousands if poker chips that never but them in play …
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-54040307.amp

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/us/whiskey-collection-gooding.html

Lol definitely a hoarder but props to someone else who's done the math. My number is roughly 7 years.....

44 is just insane

I have about 100 bottles give or take, and I think that's way too many.

Still occasionally picking up good deals when they come to me, but not seeking anything out until I thin the herd.

Feel free to thin the herd by sending them to Memphis. I'll take good care of them ;)

I think this points to one of the problems in purchasing whiskey. How many of us would ever even have the opportunity to buy 10 bottles of M10? I can't even find one. But because this guy has probably poured thousands of dollar into a few of his local stores, he gets first shot whenever something allocated comes in. And if it were just one or two bottles, then maybe that's fair. But to deprive all the rest of their customers? It's criminal in my opinion.

I only give my business to stores that make their best bottles available to all at close to retail prices. You still have to be lucky enough to walk into the store when it's available, but at least you have a chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom