Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (53 Viewers)

And it’s only $44
$39.99 at my local Total Wine. And on the shelf.

1723319221772.png

I know it’s been a small Irish sample size so far, but I’ve yet to have anything better than this one. Powers John’s Lane ain’t too shabby either but this is on a different level!View attachment 1370188
Isn't it also double the price of Powers John's Lane? I'm sure it's delicious, but above my self imposed limit. My palate is not yet sophisticated enough to justify over $100 bottles.

Isn't it also double the price of Powers John's Lane? I'm sure it's delicious, but above my self imposed limit. My palate is not yet sophisticated enough to justify over $100 bottles.
The RB CS is $35 more than the PJL. I paid $75 for the Powers and $110 for the Redbreast. For me, I think the extra $$ for the RB CS is definitely worth it. If the cask strength edition of John’s Lane makes it over here, I’d gladly pay the extra for that as well. I believe it’s only available in Ireland/EU

The RB CS is $35 more than the PJL. I paid $75 for the Powers and $110 for the Redbreast. For me, I think the extra $$ for the RB CS is definitely worth it. If the cask strength edition of John’s Lane makes it over here, I’d gladly pay the extra for that as well. I believe it’s only available in Ireland/EU
OK, I can get the Powers for $59 in Texas. RB12 cask is $108. Both are in stock at my local TW.

View attachment 1311822

Spot Flight, Part I

Green Spot

Nose: lovely soft nose, apple orchard with a bit of dark red fruit from the sherry cask, with some mingling spice (barley) notes in the background.

Palate: fruity sweet green apple hits you up front, soft toasted oak and pot still spice sets in as it sits and dries. Earthy and natural but very smooth, approachable and drinkable.

Finish: subtle sweet oak, dries ever so slightly with the oak, pot still and barley notes.

Score: 90 (crazy value for $60!)

Yellow Spot
Nose: similar apple orchard initial hit, but its not quite as fresh and sweet, more of older, ripe red apple aroma. Lots of influence from the wine cask as well, very similar to the Balvenie madeira nose. I'm also getting a bit of baking spice like a nutmeg.

Palate: very similar to the nose - rich, ripe red apple and dark honey up front that quickly yeilds to the dry red wine notes. As it dries the oak and pot still notes ramp up, and the slight uptick in proof from the Green Spot is noticable (in a very good way). Full, oily mouthfeel that coats very well. "Sophisticated" - my pinky is in the air upon tasting lol

Finish: smooth medium long finish that features a balance of that dry red grape/win and oak.

Score: 94

Red Spot
Nose: lots going on here. The sweet apple orchard notes are there, but they're darker. More bourbon-esque notes, black cherry, barred charred oak, and hints of leather.

Palate: much more forcefull on the palate, again there's alot going on here. The bourbon and marsala cask influence brings lots of charred oak and dry red wine notes, the sweet apple takes more of a back seat. Black pepper and pot still spices. A little bitterness as it sits and dries.

Finish: medium to long finish, pot still and oak notes.

Score: 91

‐--------

These were all excellent. The noses especially, I honestly spent more time with my schnoz buried in the glen cairn than I did actually tasting. Of these 3, the yellow was easily my favorite, I enjoyed the slightly darker profile, it had that slight extra punch and just had so much going on. One could argue, though, that the green is the most unique, that fresh green apple flavor is like nothing I've tasted in another dram. And for $60, I will always have a bottle on hand going forward. I believe I grabbed a bottle of yellow at $115, and while it's certainly not twice as good, I will likely shoot to have a bottle of this on hand as well. At $300+ around here, the red would be a pass. I loved the black cherry notes, but beyond that there wasn't enough to justify the big uptick in price.
Ran through the leftover samples from this flight tonight; previous assessment was pretty "spot" on. ;)

Finishing out the evening with another favorite.

20240811_203924.jpg

Ran through the leftover samples from this flight tonight; previous assessment was pretty "spot" on. ;)

Finishing out the evening with another favorite.

View attachment 1371561
I’ve yet to pull the trigger on a Green Spot, but even at $72 here, it’ll happen sooner than later. My birthday is this coming Friday :unsure:

I’d love to find RB Kentucky and/or Missouri oak but that’ll most likely be something I’ll have to order online if the $$ is right

As someone who drinks a fair amount of scotch (Speyside), but has only barely dabbled in Bourbon, what are some recommendations that I might enjoy?

Here’s some of my favorites (notice they all lack peat, and many are malt forward):

- Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
- Dalwhinnie 15
- Glenfidditch
- Dalmore Single Malt Cigar Malt
- Aberlour Abundah (see above!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom