Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (52 Viewers)

I don’t pursue ecbp like I used to. I have a119 open on my shelf, plus everything from a121 to c923. I don’t need more until I start drinking more. But I might look for a b524…

I was at Meijers shopping for dinner supplies. The B524 was sitting on the endcap. I really didn't have a choice. I had to buy it.

I was at Meijers shopping for dinner supplies. The B524 was sitting on the endcap. I really didn't have a choice. I had to buy it.
Good pickup, this year's B batch drinks a hair hot but very good.

Was checking distiller dot com for regarding my open ECBPs. Because I was curious. How do we feel about these ratings?

A119 4.36
A121 4.24
B521 4.16
C921 4.13
A122 4.19
B522 4.07
C922 4.35
A123 4.42
B523 4.45
C923 4.60

I like them all. If I drank more and had more time I'd sit them side by side and do frequent comparisons. The only nasty ECBP I ever bought was a store pick. It was hot and had no nuance, just some trashy old EC juice that somebody threw in bottles and got shlubs like me to overpay for. I mixed all mine into whiskey sours and said good riddance.

As someone who drinks a fair amount of scotch (Speyside), but has only barely dabbled in Bourbon, what are some recommendations that I might enjoy?

Here’s some of my favorites (notice they all lack peat, and many are malt forward):

- Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
- Dalwhinnie 15
- Glenfidditch
- Dalmore Single Malt Cigar Malt
- Aberlour Abundah (see above!)
I would say a good starting point would be Angel's Envy. The bourbon is finished in port wine barrels. The rye is finished in Caribbean rum casks. It might be hard at first to get past the heat (Kentucky hug) and char on bourbons to find the subtle notes like you can in scotch.

I would say a good starting point would be Angel's Envy. The bourbon is finished in port wine barrels. The rye is finished in Caribbean rum casks. It might be hard at first to get past the heat (Kentucky hug) and char on bourbons to find the subtle notes like you can in scotch.
^this^ Angels envy is a very good recommendation.

Blackened would be another potential suggestion on the less expensive end, those are finished in brandy casks. The Blackened Wes Anderson version amps the barrel finishing up a notch, but its overly expensive IMHO.

Was checking distiller dot com for regarding my open ECBPs. Because I was curious. How do we feel about these ratings?

A119 4.36
A121 4.24
B521 4.16
C921 4.13
A122 4.19
B522 4.07
C922 4.35
A123 4.42
B523 4.45
C923 4.60

I like them all. If I drank more and had more time I'd sit them side by side and do frequent comparisons. The only nasty ECBP I ever bought was a store pick. It was hot and had no nuance, just some trashy old EC juice that somebody threw in bottles and got shlubs like me to overpay for. I mixed all mine into whiskey sours and said good riddance.

It's so tough to compare batches over the long run like this. I personally felt like all the 2021 offerings were a step below other years, especially after 2020 which had 2 killer bottles. 2022 got a little better, and then 2023 even better.

I've been meaning to go back through my notes and collect all my scores over the years (I only started doing this during covid). Instead of numerical scores, I think I'd rather put them into boxes - OK, Good, Very Good and Excellent. I agree with your overall assessment, ECBP are like ice cream in that even a "bad" one is pretty damn good.

For me, C920 always stands above the pack. C923 initially tasted hot to me, but similar to Larceny's B batch last year, a little open time helped a bunch, its up there. I'm thinking the same will be true for this year's B batch.

B517 was my favorite bottle. I recently killed one thanks to Paulo!
C917 was my first taste of ECBP, I remember trying it at Whiskeyfest in NYC in November '17 (along with the 18 and 23 year). Loooooong before I ever started taking notes lol.

20171116_203546.jpg

C923 is hot, but with just a touch of water, I found it almost indistinguishable from a Remus Repeal V. It’s a special bourbon. And the only ECBP that I have backed up.

I've had a pour from one bottle, and it was awful. I'm told they're not all bad. I guess with single barrels, you'll always get some different profiles based on each barrel

I had a really small pour over the summer. I thought it was pretty good. I've also learned not to judge a bottle until I have three or four pours out of it lol

I've had a pour from one bottle, and it was awful. I'm told they're not all bad. I guess with single barrels, you'll always get some different profiles based on each barrel
Yeah, single barrels. I've had pours from 2 bottles, one from the sampling pictured above (went back like 3 times until I started getting dirty looms lol) and the other from a bottle from 2020. Both were imho incredible, dusty and old lol.

20240418_203622.jpg

First couple of pours from this one were good, but not $150 for the bottle good. Once it got about a third of the way empty is when it drastically changed for the better! It’s now phenomenal. I will definitely roll the dice on another one if the opportunity presents itself but I can easily understand the reluctance to do so given the $$
IMG_7826.jpeg

First couple of pours from this one were good, but not $150 for the bottle good. Once it got about a third of the way empty is when it drastically changed for the better! It’s now phenomenal. I will definitely roll the dice on another one if the opportunity presents itself but I can easily understand the reluctance to do so given the $$View attachment 1371806

As much as I drink Elijah Craig, I feel like I should have one of these on my shelf. I don't know when or if I've ever seen it for sale around here.

As much as I drink Elijah Craig, I feel like I should have one of these on my shelf. I don't know when or if I've ever seen it for sale around here.
I got mine last year for $150+tax but they’re now retailing at $170. One of my cash game regs bought the bottle I now have and took me up on my standing offer to buy it if he decided he didn’t want it. He also knows to buy another if he runs across one :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So while we were on vacation a couple weeks back, a mourning dove (read: rat with wings) built a nest on top of the fan on my back deck. As such, the wifey has forbade everyone in the house from doing anything that would "scare" or "disturb" said mama vermin. I was specifically singled out - no fires or cigars out there until the shit dropping babies are gone. At the time I figured no biggie, it's fucking August and 105 degrees/99% humidity. Of course, a week later the weather seriously breaks and it's like mid-September and gorgeous out. And the fucking birds haven't vacated yet.

After a fairly shitty week back at work and dealing with a busted AC, there's zero chance I'm letting a nice evening like this pass me by. So I dragged out the ol' wood firepit and set up in the yard away from the uninvited squatters with a Fuente Anejo and a nice glass.....

20240812_204149.jpg

20240812_203518.jpg

These OFSBBSs are always interesting. This one has almost zero banana / vanilla, but rather tons of spice and char, with this incredible background of raspberries. Not my best OF bottle, but a nice change of pace. Cheers fellas.

Store pick that I helped pick. And at 110 proof. :sneaky:

IMG_0667.jpeg

So while we were on vacation a couple weeks back, a mourning dove (read: rat with wings) built a nest on top of the fan on my back deck. As such, the wifey has forbade everyone in the house from doing anything that would "scare" or "disturb" said mama vermin. I was specifically singled out - no fires or cigars out there until the shit dropping babies are gone. At the time I figured no biggie, it's fucking August and 105 degrees/99% humidity. Of course, a week later the weather seriously breaks and it's like mid-September and gorgeous out. And the fucking birds haven't vacated yet.

After a fairly shitty week back at work and dealing with a busted AC, there's zero chance I'm letting a nice evening like this pass me by. So I dragged out the ol' wood firepit and set up in the yard away from the uninvited squatters with a Fuente Anejo and a nice glass.....

View attachment 1371910

View attachment 1371909

These OFSBBSs are always interesting. This one has almost zero banana / vanilla, but rather tons of spice and char, with this incredible background of raspberries. Not my best OF bottle, but a nice change of pace. Cheers fellas.

That looks like an amazing evening. LOL at "The Barrel Drip". I have loved everyone of these bottles that I have had the experience of owning/partaking in.

On a whim, I picked up a bottle of the 101 on Sunday. I think it is a great value for under 30 bucks. It is Colleens favorite bourbon in an OF.

Thoughts on the 15yr? I have an opportunity to get one just need to know if it’s worth the price. I typically like that stuff.
sorry just seeing this. Hope you got it if it's close to MSRP becuse that bottle is fucking fantatic

I've never gone wrong with any WT offering I've bought. Maybe Russell's 10 regular, I think the WT101 is better than that juice.
I bet Russell's 10 would be better and sell better if they bumped to to 100 proof BiB. Even with a price increase. Who are the buyer's who want 10 year old whiskey? By and large, not the same buyer's who are looking for low cost leaders and 90 proof bottles. Of course, then it would be in direct competition with WT 101 at double the price, so it had damn sure better be better!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom