Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (50 Viewers)

IMG_8230.jpeg

It’s good. The toasted finish really mellows out an already mellow rye. I might not have known it’s a rye except for the finish.

View attachment 1381359
I love Elijah Craig bourbons, and the toasted is one of my favorites. However, I was very disappointed with their rye offering. I might give the toasted version a try, but only at the right price.

I was going to pass on this batch. Sooooo glad I didn't, this first glass is good. Really good. Sweet up front (caramel, luxardo cherry syrup, vanilla) and a spicy followup (pepper & red hots), very well balanced. And a crazy full mouthfeel, finishes for days. I find these usually calm down a bit after popping, sio this one has the potential to be even better. Gotta go grab a backup or two. @Billy Baroo have you tried yours yet I'm curious if you like it.....

20240831_194302.jpg

I was going to pass on this batch. Sooooo glad I didn't, this first glass is good. Really good. Sweet up front (caramel, luxardo cherry syrup, vanilla) and a spicy followup (pepper & red hots), very well balanced. And a crazy full mouthfeel, finishes for days. I find these usually calm down a bit after popping, sio this one has the potential to be even better. Gotta go grab a backup or two. @Billy Baroo have you tried yours yet I'm curious if you like it.....

View attachment 1381891
I cracked mine last week and I really like it! I think it’ll compete with B523 after a few more pours and some time to breathe. Your assessment is pretty much spot on with mine. I already have a backup…might look for another :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

IMG_8233.jpeg
Last pour of the last 12 year age stated ECBP. Happy to drink it but sad to see this one go as it’s a fantastic batch! Most oak forward batch I’ve had in a while

Last edited:
I cracked mine last week and I really like it! I think it’ll compete with B523 after a few more pours and some time to breathe. Your assessment is pretty much spot on with mine. I already have a backup…might look for another :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I poured a baby glass of B523 to compare, they're both good but pretty different. Well see once the B524 gets a little downtime.

Great battle going on at College Station tonight, gotta luv college football :tup:

wedding crashers comedy GIF

(despite every attempt to fuck it up and turn it into NFL Jr.....)

20240831_223924.jpg

Thoughts on this one?

I’m a big fan of this one!

So this was like pour #6ish last night, so other than "fuck me, this is tasty" I didn't have much to offer last night.

Naturally, a nice Sunday afternoon Redbreast flight was required to help answer that question better. I've been meaning to do a RB Kentucky vs Missouri head to head, so this gave me the opportunity to do that and add in the Lustau. :cool

20240901_141416.jpg

Redbreast Kentucky Oak
(Copied from a previous review because I'm crazy lazy and this review was spot on....)

Nose: Creamy vanilla bean with almond leads the way, with subtle pot still and dark fruit background notes. Exquisitely rich, one my favorite noses.

Palate: Cinnamon and baking spices on the front of the palate, creamy warm vanilla and subtle brown sugar with the pot still spice mid palate and then the oak dries at the end. Some of the dry red fruit creeps in as well. Almost like a cinnabon (seriously), especially when you alternate nosing and siping. It's not incredibly complex, but it's incredibly well balanced, crazy drinkable and delicious!

Finish: Medium finish, sweet irish pot still notes complimenting oak barrel notes.

Redbreast Missouri Oak
Nose: Fresh green apple with vanilla, followed by a sweet grape/cherry notes with tempered pot still spices.

Palate: lots going on here, the pot spices and oak are prominent on the front of the palate, balanced by very warm, rich red fruit and vanilla base notes. As it sits, baking spices like cinnamon creep in, along with a bit of black pepper.

Finish: long finish with pot still and oak with a creamy/nutty moutfeel

Redbreast Lustau
Nose: dark fruits & figs/prune up front, with a sweet almond background note

Palate: spicy start with pot still spices and oak, immediately (and very distinctly) followed by the sherry cask influence and a creamy, sweet almondish base.

Finish: smooth medium finish, as the spiceness subsides it dries and buttery oak notes linger.

These are all incredible bottles. The comparison between the oak series bottles at 101 proof (and $120+) vs the Lustau at 92 proof / $70 probably isn't a fair one, but whatever. They're a slight step up in flavor and complexity, but not a 2X step, which makes the Lustau a really nice buy if you can find it at retail.

The Missouri Oak is probably the most complex and interesting of the 3, but the Kentucky Oak is totally my wheelhouse with all that rich vanilla. I have a backup to my current (almost empty) bottle and I really need to find a backup to the backup lol.

I think I’m getting ready to run a Green, Yellow and Red Spot flight that @Saoliver sent me. The Blue and Gold might happen later tonight and I also have a sample of the RB KY oak to put in with something down the road.

Glad you liked the Lustau especially since my first assessment and recommendation was basically “fuck this is good” :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So this was like pour #6ish last night, so other than "fuck me, this is tasty" I didn't have much to offer last night.

Naturally, a nice Sunday afternoon Redbreast flight was required to help answer that question better. I've been meaning to do a RB Kentucky vs Missouri head to head, so this gave me the opportunity to do that and add in the Lustau. :cool

View attachment 1382207

Redbreast Kentucky Oak
(Copied from a previous review because I'm crazy lazy and this review was spot on....)

Nose: Creamy vanilla bean with almond leads the way, with subtle pot still and dark fruit background notes. Exquisitely rich, one my favorite noses.

Palate: Cinnamon and baking spices on the front of the palate, creamy warm vanilla and subtle brown sugar with the pot still spice mid palate and then the oak dries at the end. Some of the dry red fruit creeps in as well. Almost like a cinnabon (seriously), especially when you alternate nosing and siping. It's not incredibly complex, but it's incredibly well balanced, crazy drinkable and delicious!

Finish: Medium finish, sweet irish pot still notes complimenting oak barrel notes.

Redbreast Missouri Oak
Nose: Fresh green apple with vanilla, followed by a sweet grape/cherry notes with tempered pot still spices.

Palate: lots going on here, the pot spices and oak are prominent on the front of the palate, balanced by very warm, rich red fruit and vanilla base notes. As it sits, baking spices like cinnamon creep in, along with a bit of black pepper.

Finish: long finish with pot still and oak with a creamy/nutty moutfeel

Redbreast Lustau
Nose: dark fruits & figs/prune up front, with a sweet almond background note

Palate: spicy start with pot still spices and oak, immediately (and very distinctly) followed by the sherry cask influence and a creamy, sweet almondish base.

Finish: smooth medium finish, as the spiceness subsides it dries and buttery oak notes linger.

These are all incredible bottles. The comparison between the oak series bottles at 101 proof (and $120+) vs the Lustau at 92 proof / $70 probably isn't a fair one, but whatever. They're a slight step up in flavor and complexity, but not a 2X step, which makes the Lustau a really nice buy if you can find it at retail.

The Missouri Oak is probably the most complex and interesting of the 3, but the Kentucky Oak is totally my wheelhouse with all that rich vanilla. I have a backup to my current (almost empty) bottle and I really need to find a backup to the backup lol.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Kentucky Oak.

Great notes, per usual ...

View attachment 1382278First time trying any of the Spot offerings. This was my recommended starting point with these 3. Flight courtesy of @Saoliver Slainte
Best advice I can give is to take your time with these. There are so many subtle nuances, don't rush with any part of the sampling (especially the nose!)

View attachment 1382278First time trying any of the Spot offerings. This was my recommended starting point with these 3. Flight courtesy of @Saoliver Slainte

I’m keeping notes on these and I’ll compare them after I finish day 2 of this flight before I make a final assessment. Green is fairly straightforward with what I’m picking up (spicy green jolly rancher), but yellow and red have quite a bit more going on that I’ll need another go at it to pick out some of the more subtle notes. Getting some darker fruits in those two with heavier vanilla , caramel and spice. The extra age and additional cask finishing are very evident. The nose and palate of those 2 seemed to change every time I lifted the glass!

I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of these but Red was the obvious star of this flight!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom