Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (60 Viewers)

IMG_8264.jpeg

So this was like pour #6ish last night, so other than "fuck me, this is tasty" I didn't have much to offer last night.

Naturally, a nice Sunday afternoon Redbreast flight was required to help answer that question better. I've been meaning to do a RB Kentucky vs Missouri head to head, so this gave me the opportunity to do that and add in the Lustau. :cool

View attachment 1382207

Redbreast Kentucky Oak
(Copied from a previous review because I'm crazy lazy and this review was spot on....)

Nose: Creamy vanilla bean with almond leads the way, with subtle pot still and dark fruit background notes. Exquisitely rich, one my favorite noses.

Palate: Cinnamon and baking spices on the front of the palate, creamy warm vanilla and subtle brown sugar with the pot still spice mid palate and then the oak dries at the end. Some of the dry red fruit creeps in as well. Almost like a cinnabon (seriously), especially when you alternate nosing and siping. It's not incredibly complex, but it's incredibly well balanced, crazy drinkable and delicious!

Finish: Medium finish, sweet irish pot still notes complimenting oak barrel notes.

Redbreast Missouri Oak
Nose: Fresh green apple with vanilla, followed by a sweet grape/cherry notes with tempered pot still spices.

Palate: lots going on here, the pot spices and oak are prominent on the front of the palate, balanced by very warm, rich red fruit and vanilla base notes. As it sits, baking spices like cinnamon creep in, along with a bit of black pepper.

Finish: long finish with pot still and oak with a creamy/nutty moutfeel

Redbreast Lustau
Nose: dark fruits & figs/prune up front, with a sweet almond background note

Palate: spicy start with pot still spices and oak, immediately (and very distinctly) followed by the sherry cask influence and a creamy, sweet almondish base.

Finish: smooth medium finish, as the spiceness subsides it dries and buttery oak notes linger.

These are all incredible bottles. The comparison between the oak series bottles at 101 proof (and $120+) vs the Lustau at 92 proof / $70 probably isn't a fair one, but whatever. They're a slight step up in flavor and complexity, but not a 2X step, which makes the Lustau a really nice buy if you can find it at retail.

The Missouri Oak is probably the most complex and interesting of the 3, but the Kentucky Oak is totally my wheelhouse with all that rich vanilla. I have a backup to my current (almost empty) bottle and I really need to find a backup to the backup lol.
Do any of these have an age statement? I didn't see one on the front label. All are available at some Houston area TW stores, but not at the prices you quote. The two oaks series bottles are $200 and the Lustau is $87. How would the 12 year cask strength slot into this lineup? I can find that at $110.

Do any of these have an age statement? I didn't see one on the front label. All are available at some Houston area TW stores, but not at the prices you quote. The two oaks series bottles are $200 and the Lustau is $87. How would the 12 year cask strength slot into this lineup? I can find that at $110.
The Kentucky and Missouri Oak do not, not sure about the Lustau. $200 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for either, both of those should be $130 max. They are both very different from the 12 year CS. I like that one better overall by a smidge, but it's close.

Last edited:
Getting the essentials together for tonight’s Megadeth concert!!!
IMG_8267.jpeg
We’ll kill the bottle while tailgating and then we got the booze bladder to smuggle in to keep the party rolling! I’m beyond excited for this show as Megadeth was one of my favorite bands when I was in high school and still are to this day :cool

I really enjoyed this one, fantastic nose!

20240907_153148.jpg

Fantastic concert! Mrs. Baroo was a trooper but I think Mudvayne freaked her out a tad :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That is awesome. It would do the same to Colleen. She offered to go to a Parkway Drive concert with me a few months back. I didn't make her. She probably would have cried the entire time.

How is that 18?

That is awesome. It would do the same to Colleen. She offered to go to a Parkway Drive concert with me a few months back. I didn't make her. She probably would have cried the entire time.

How is that 18?
It’s fantastic! When I first opened it, I really liked it but I honestly thought the 12yr wasn’t that far behind. But after getting some breathing room and being opened for almost a year…it’s on a whole different level. You have to love oak bombs but even as prominent as it is, it’s not overpowering or obnoxious and the KC profile really shines!

It’s fantastic! When I first opened it, I really liked it but I honestly thought the 12yr wasn’t that far behind. But after getting some breathing room and being opened for almost a year…it’s on a whole different level. You have to love oak bombs but even as prominent as it is, it’s not overpowering or obnoxious.

I "love" heavy oak in my bourbon. I'll google the price. It might be a splurge purchase if I ever win at poker again.

being opened for almost a year

This is the statement that blows me away? I don't think I have ever had a bottle opened for a year without finishing it. Hmmm, maybe I need more bottles.

I "love" heavy oak in my bourbon. I'll google the price. It might be a splurge purchase if I ever win at poker again.

This is the statement that blows me away? I don't think I have ever had a bottle opened for a year without finishing it. Hmmm, maybe I need more bottles.
Have you had a KC 120p sib yet?

If not, definitely start there for a sub $75 bottle. Also excellent, all-the-time.

Big fan of KC

And yes, you do. Take action

I got mine via trade but its retail price of about $180 was where we put the valuation at.

Bottles used to only last about 2 months max until I started buying more expensive bottles and just more bottles in general. I now have 5-6 bottles approaching being opened a year with one of those being cracked over 2 years ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom