Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (67 Viewers)

Only a Mets fan can still feel nervous after scoring 10 runs.....

major-league.gif

20241018_184841.jpg

PCF

I've found I have a pretty similar palate to Matt at ADHD whiskey, so I typically trust his reviews.

Thanks! What’s your favorite bottle at $30-50, $100, and $200?

Thinking about getting a cheaper one for myself and a more expensive one for a gift

Thanks! What’s your favorite bottle at $30-50, $100, and $200?

Thinking about getting a cheaper one for myself and a more expensive one for a gift

Where Do I Start Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

I'm going to do these real fast, figure tbe first that comes to mind should be the best choice, right.....

$50: Old Forester 1920, 1792 Bottled in Bond, I'd we expand just a bit Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye

$100: Any Barrel specialty single barrel, like a Barrell Rye Single Barrel Cask Strength

$200+: Glendronach 18 or 21

My recent go-to recommendation for a gift bottle that's nice but not crazy over the top is James Pepper Barrel Proof Bourbon (the decanter style bottle). $60-$70, beautiful bottle, great juice, and something different that most bourbon lovers will without question enjoy. Makes a great gift :tup:

20241001_204716.jpg

PCF

I've found I have a pretty similar palate to Matt at ADHD whiskey, so I typically trust his reviews.

Bourbon Junkies on YouTube...Sean's palate aligns with mine.
I watch both of these channels. Breakingbourbon.com is pretty good too for written reviews.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested. This is supposed to be a banger. Open to the public. It’s a Drums and Drams pick and Cam has a phenomenal palate imo.

Use code “Cam” to save 5%

HARD TRUTH SWEET MASH RYE

126.6 proof / 63.3% ABV (cask strength)

5 years old

Aged in a spiral cut barrel from Independent Stave Company

94% rye, 6% malted barley

https://bourbonoutfitter.com/products/hard-truth-sweet-mash-rye-drums-drams-5-year-126-6-proof

Tasting notes:

HARD TRUTH SWEET MASH 5 YEAR RYE

NOSE

The spiral cut barrel makes itself known immediately with a dessert-like caramel apple note backed by a toffee-laden oak. Also Swiss Miss hot chocolate powder and vanilla ice cream. After acclimating to the prominent barrel influence, sweet orchard fruits and honey come into focus, which is the more typical profile for Hard Truth’s Sweet Mash Ryes. There’s also a bit of a Dr. Pepper spice.

PALATE

Rich, sweet, and quite spicy up front. Front of the palate focuses on those spicy cola and barrel notes. As it develops, it continues deepening into a caramel apple/toffee character. It gets broader and broader on the palate as the cinnamon spice ramps up. Fresh, tart cherries and fruit notes appear as the whiskey transitions to the finish.

FINISH

The finish is incredibly long. Prickly cinnamon churns and churns. Tart cherries and fresh fruit hang on, and a slight floral note appears. There’s still an underpinning of that spiral cut barrel too. Remarkable finish!

FINAL THOUGHTS

This pick will be slept on. With a young-ish age, novel barrel usage, and likely a high bottle count, I think some folks will pass it up when focusing purely on stats. Do not sleep on this bottle! I think this whiskey will blow you away, even if you’re not a “rye person.”

The spiral cut barrel used for this whiskey is a showstopper, and I think it shows so much promise for extensive aging in these barrels without becoming over-oaked. I’m curious to try other examples of spiral cut-aged products from other distilleries, but especially Hard Truth as they continue to age.

And while I love to highlight the great parts about our picks, not every whiskey is perfect, so I also like to discuss my criticisms of our picks too. The only complaint I have about this one is that there’s a bit of an extra ethanol punch on the front of the palate. It’s not much (maybe 10% too much), and it does level out as you continue drinking, but the first sip does have a bit of an extra kick. I’d ascribe that to its youth, but otherwise this whiskey doesn’t drink like a 5 year product.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested. This is supposed to be a banger. Open to the public. It’s a Drums and Drams pick and Cam has a phenomenal palate imo.

Use code “Cam” to save 5%

HARD TRUTH SWEET MASH RYE

126.6 proof / 63.3% ABV (cask strength)

5 years old

Aged in a spiral cut barrel from Independent Stave Company

94% rye, 6% malted barley

https://bourbonoutfitter.com/products/hard-truth-sweet-mash-rye-drums-drams-5-year-126-6-proof

Tasting notes:

HARD TRUTH SWEET MASH 5 YEAR RYE

NOSE

The spiral cut barrel makes itself known immediately with a dessert-like caramel apple note backed by a toffee-laden oak. Also Swiss Miss hot chocolate powder and vanilla ice cream. After acclimating to the prominent barrel influence, sweet orchard fruits and honey come into focus, which is the more typical profile for Hard Truth’s Sweet Mash Ryes. There’s also a bit of a Dr. Pepper spice.

PALATE

Rich, sweet, and quite spicy up front. Front of the palate focuses on those spicy cola and barrel notes. As it develops, it continues deepening into a caramel apple/toffee character. It gets broader and broader on the palate as the cinnamon spice ramps up. Fresh, tart cherries and fruit notes appear as the whiskey transitions to the finish.

FINISH

The finish is incredibly long. Prickly cinnamon churns and churns. Tart cherries and fresh fruit hang on, and a slight floral note appears. There’s still an underpinning of that spiral cut barrel too. Remarkable finish!

FINAL THOUGHTS

This pick will be slept on. With a young-ish age, novel barrel usage, and likely a high bottle count, I think some folks will pass it up when focusing purely on stats. Do not sleep on this bottle! I think this whiskey will blow you away, even if you’re not a “rye person.”

The spiral cut barrel used for this whiskey is a showstopper, and I think it shows so much promise for extensive aging in these barrels without becoming over-oaked. I’m curious to try other examples of spiral cut-aged products from other distilleries, but especially Hard Truth as they continue to age.

And while I love to highlight the great parts about our picks, not every whiskey is perfect, so I also like to discuss my criticisms of our picks too. The only complaint I have about this one is that there’s a bit of an extra ethanol punch on the front of the palate. It’s not much (maybe 10% too much), and it does level out as you continue drinking, but the first sip does have a bit of an extra kick. I’d ascribe that to its youth, but otherwise this whiskey doesn’t drink like a 5 year product.
Damn that sounds good.....

Cheers! Will report back

View attachment 1405573
Wow… it’s awesome, finish just goes and goes.

A little thin on the palate but then it slams you with richness and just the right amount of barrel char. Creates a superb drying sensation that wakes your taste buds up - it’s prickly! Really fills the mouth with a pleasant grassy rye note, and has an uncharacteristic subtlety to it. My guess is the lack of corn brings out a cleaner rye that just stands out more than I’m used to - there’s no sweet notes to lend to it’s smoothness.

Definitely not as “powerful” as something like a jdsbbpr, but to me is more pleasant and approachable. A phenomenal bottle that just tastes special. 5 min finish, still getting hints of chicory and fresh fennel.

As someone who shoots for ~1oz pours, I’d give up a dozen 4r sbbs picks for another bottle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom