The cheap whiskey thread (3 Viewers)

I've had two different flavors of Proof Old Fashioned Mix but was too expensive. And then I stumbled on Woodford Reserves mix for ~$16 and it's pretty delightful
I just save certain bottles with a flat/rectangular shape. Like Knob Creek. Then mix my own and keep it in the fridge. Easy/peasey, and cheap as can be.

I just save certain bottles with a flat/rectangular shape. Like Knob Creek. Then mix my own and keep it in the fridge. Easy/peasey, and cheap as can be.
Not as cheap as $14 for 750ml, though.
sassy emo GIF by Leroy Patterson

Old fashioned mix? Apart from the garnish it's just sugar, whiskey, and bitters. What's in the mix?
The Woodford mix is:
Ingredients: granulated sugar, distilled water, raw demerara sugar, natural cherry flavor (propylene glycol, ethyl alcohol, natural flavor, malic acid), natural orange extract (ethyl alcohol, water, natural flavor), natural bitters flavor (ethyl alcohol, water, natural flavor, sugar, glycerin, sulfites), lactic acid (less than 1%).

Not as cheap as $14 for 750ml, though.
sassy emo GIF by Leroy Patterson
Pretty sure 750 ml of homemade simple syrup with the appropriate amount of bitters is going to be way less than $14.

Edit: So to be clear, are we talking just the mix part, or a mix that already has whiskey in it. If it includes the booze, then I'm going to assume it's a very base level, 80 proof bourbon. Something I would be unlikely to ever buy for my home bar. I make my house old fashioneds with OF 100 Rye at $26 for a liter bottle. That's $0.77/oz. If I'm pre-mixing a 750 ml bottle of old fashioneds, then I'll use about 22 oz of whiskey. ($17) I make my simple syrup with turbinado sugar and will add about 2.5 oz. ($1-2 or less?) and will add about 25-30 shakes of bitters. Generally a mix of regular and orange Angostura bitters. So maybe another $1-2? Roughly $20 total for about 10 cocktails, and I'll happily put this up against any $14 pre-bottled old fashioned mix.

Last edited:
Pretty sure 750 ml of homemade simple syrup with the appropriate amount of bitters is going to be way less than $14.

Edit: So to be clear, are we talking just the mix part, or a mix that already has whiskey in it. If it includes the booze, then I'm going to assume it's a very base level, 80 proof bourbon. Something I would be unlikely to ever buy for my home bar. I make my house old fashioneds with OF 100 Rye at $26 for a liter bottle. That's $0.77/oz. If I'm pre-mixing a 750 ml bottle of old fashioneds, then I'll use about 22 oz of whiskey. ($17) I make my simple syrup with turbinado sugar and will add about 2.5 oz. ($1-2 or less?) and will add about 25-30 shakes of bitters. Generally a mix of regular and orange Angostura bitters. So maybe another $1-2? Roughly $20 total for about 10 cocktails, and I'll happily put this up against any $14 pre-bottled old fashioned mix.
I was just talking about finding the Knob Creek old fashioned (includes the booze) for $14. I'm sure it's not as good as your homemade mix. It certainly isn't as good as my old fashioned (whiskey, Demerara syrup, Angostura regular and orange bitters, orange twist), but it's perfectly drinkable.

Was just given this Old Tub, so that makes it double cheap. Haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve heard it’s a decent inexpensive bottle.
IMG_5370.jpeg

I like the idea, but 8oz simple and 2oz bitters seems ridiculous.
Yes, that would be absolutely horrible. I think I posted my recipe up a few posts. I use 1/4 oz per drink. 750 ml will give you about 10-12 cocktails, so at most 2.5-3 oz of simple syrup. Now this recipe may also be using a weaker simple syrup recipe. Mine is two parts turbinado sugar to one part water.

Our area costcos just released their Kirland 1792 Bottled in Bond. For 23.99 a liter it's hard to beat for value.
I don’t have a Costco nearby, but my sister works at one. She looks for me, but the Kirkland BiB is never in stock.

So I passed on this last time, just because my liquor cabinet was full. But they were back in stock today, this time for $33, rather than $30. Still a bargain. Enjoying the Cavehill right now. I'll try the Heigold tomorrow night.

:tup:

1727752204788.png

How do you guys like Costco whiskey?
I've heard really great things about the Kirkland Bottled-In-bond offering, but it's almost never available. It's had a couple mentions in this thread, in fact. My sister works at a Costco, and checks for me, but has never seen it.

I've heard really great things about the Kirkland Bottled-In-bond offering, but it's almost never available. It's had a couple mentions in this thread, in fact. My sister works at a Costco, and checks for me, but has never seen it.

I will keep an eye out, thanks! This is the first I’ve heard of it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom