Video Games? (2 Viewers)

Playing the wither 3. It’s great. So many hours sunk in already lol.

I hated Witcher 2 because of an early quicktime event that made me quit

But I'm glad I gave 3 a chance. One of my top games of all time. A lot of people love the Bloody Baron questline, but I really enjoyed the DLC with this dark/creepy theme and a bald-headed dude that is introduced that is more than he seems

His character was positively brilliant

After a few false starts, I have finally fallen down the deep well that is Minecraft (Java Ed.).

Some nights I play with my youngest; we jump into a LAN game in creative mode and just build crap like crazy. Lately she's been toe-dipping in survival mode, but we still hop back and forth. ("Dad, change it to creative so I can grab a full set of diamond gear and a bunch of materials, then change it back.")

I've been toying with all kinds of stuff: big homestead builds in survival mode, Skyblock maps, learning how to create mob farms, iron farms, etc. It's pointless fun like most entertainment, but it's more stimulating than staring at YouTube late at night when my brain is too tired to do anything else.

Gaunter O’Dimm. Great character. I thought the main storyline was great. Then I played the DLCs. Wow.

(No more spoilers. Enjoy the ride!!!)

My setup

Attachments

• BC847312-B7AA-4750-AE43-EB7FCF8BC6C6.jpeg
    BC847312-B7AA-4750-AE43-EB7FCF8BC6C6.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 98
After a few false starts, I have finally fallen down the deep well that is Minecraft (Java Ed.).

Some nights I play with my youngest; we jump into a LAN game in creative mode and just build crap like crazy. Lately she's been toe-dipping in survival mode, but we still hop back and forth. ("Dad, change it to creative so I can grab a full set of diamond gear and a bunch of materials, then change it back.")

I've been toying with all kinds of stuff: big homestead builds in survival mode, Skyblock maps, learning how to create mob farms, iron farms, etc. It's pointless fun like most entertainment, but it's more stimulating than staring at YouTube late at night when my brain is too tired to do anything else.

definitely try Valheim. 10/10

I was thinking about how massive the maps are going to be. I just can’t fathom the scale of this. I expect (hope for) more complex game modes to be introduced. Should be exciting to see it develop.

The 64-player maps never felt crowded back in my BF3 and BF4 days, so I can't imagine they need to change map size too much

Battle royale! Warzone has gone down the toilet.

Old School RuneScape (OSRS) is dangerous (and fun) - currently hooked… - can play on PC but also via app on your phone whilst on the move

It’s a bit more basic, but that’s one of the nice things about it!

Battle royale! Warzone has gone down the toilet.

I've been enjoying Rebirth Quads on the smaller island map. Haven't played Verdansk in forever

I recently unlocked the Streetsweeper auto-shotgun and put it in my custom loadout, fricken love that thing!

I wish I had time for stuff like Witcher 3. I have it, but have barely played it. With 2 young kids, it's tough to get a decent session in. So any long RPG type game needs to really grab me or else the sometimes long stretches between sessions make playing them really difficult. And playing them for an hour at a time is not where I want to be. That ain't how I play video games RPGs.

I've been on a bit of a retro FPS kick. Played a few outstanding map packs for Doom 2 (namely Sunlust). And just discovered Amid Evil last week. It's like if Quake 1 and Hexen had a baby.

It's like if Quake 1 and Hexen had a baby.
I'm sold! That's pretty much all you needed to write. ;)

I hear you about not being able to dedicate a ton to gaming. I'm in a very similar situation. If you like card games, games like Gwent, Legend of Runeterra are super fun and easy to pick up and put down after a few minutes.

If you like FPS (and it appears you do), I've been slowly plodding through Rage 2 and that's been a good fix for my gaming needs. The story is flat (this is a good thing bc you can walk away from the game for long periods of time and won't need to remember a ton of detail from the previous session) and the gameplay is formulaic (which is also a good thing bc you can easily put this down after a few minutes of playing and then quickly pick it back up w/o missing a beat). The map is nicely organized in geo-specific missions so you can literally boot the game, clear out an area, save, and then shut it down in a matter of minutes. Easy peasy.

I hear you about not being able to dedicate a ton to gaming. I'm in a very similar situation. If you like card games, games like Gwent, Legend of Runeterra are super fun and easy to pick up and put down after a few minutes.

If you like FPS (and it appears you do), I've been slowly plodding through Rage 2 and that's been a good fix for my gaming needs. The story is flat (this is a good thing bc you can walk away from the game for long periods of time and won't need to remember a ton of detail from the previous session) and the gameplay is formulaic (which is also a good thing bc you can easily put this down after a few minutes of playing and then quickly pick it back up w/o missing a beat). The map is nicely organized in geo-specific missions so you can literally boot the game, clear out an area, save, and then shut it down in a matter of minutes. Easy peasy.
I'm actually not super keen on FPS unless it's a retro one. I find modern FPS games terrible. I mostly blame Half-Life and Halo. And I really wasn't a huge fan of the build engine games like Duke and Blood. But Amid Evil is fantastic. And this studio did another game called Dusk which is more thematically similar to Blood, but looks cool too. And once Prodeus finally comes out of early access, I'll be all over it.

Most of my gaming is spent with roguelites and deck builders. Hades, Rogue Legacy 2, Monster Train, Slay the Spire, etc. And most things Metroidvania.

I'll just say this about Amid Evil...

The "rocket launcher" is a staff that pulls planets out of the universe, shrinks them, and fires them at enemies. And in it's powered up form, it shoots stars. It's freaking awesome.

I've been enjoying Rebirth Quads on the smaller island map. Haven't played Verdansk in forever

I recently unlocked the Streetsweeper auto-shotgun and put it in my custom loadout, fricken love that thing!

Jak12 was BiS in S3. Try it. That thing chews up anything. Full auto.

Have you played Slay the Spire?

If you enjoy card games (and especially if you also enjoy roguelikes) - you ought to love it.

I'm finally closing in on finishing an Iron Man run (only one save file, no takebacks!) in Crusader Kings II. Started as the Kingdom of Asturius in 867, eventually forming the Kingdom of Leon, then capturing enough duchies and kingdom titles that I formed the Empire of Hispania.

We drove the Muslims out of Iberia and surprisingly the Byzantine Empire coupled with Christian Crusades all but eradicated most of the Muslim nations. Usually in these games the Byzantines get stomped, but they prospered this time around.

Eventually one of my Heirs turned out to be an Orthodox Christian in secret (I found out after my King died and she took over as Heir) and then there were a number of Orthodox Christian vassals in secret, they all came out at once and we started converting the Catholic territories in our Empire to Orthodox (most of them are converted now, there are still a few holdouts, but no internal religious wars have flared up over it)

This game ends in the year 1453 so I've only got 53 years left and I'll have finally completed a full game of this thing!

hispania.png

religion.png

I believe Steam is expected to launch their summer sale this week, so looking at Crusader Kings 3 or perhaps the new Baldurs Gate game that's in early access if the prices are right.

I'm finally closing in on finishing an Iron Man run (only one save file, no takebacks!) in Crusader Kings II. Started as the Kingdom of Asturius in 867, eventually forming the Kingdom of Leon, then capturing enough duchies and kingdom titles that I formed the Empire of Hispania.

We drove the Muslims out of Iberia and surprisingly the Byzantine Empire coupled with Christian Crusades all but eradicated most of the Muslim nations. Usually in these games the Byzantines get stomped, but they prospered this time around.

Eventually one of my Heirs turned out to be an Orthodox Christian in secret (I found out after my King died and she took over as Heir) and then there were a number of Orthodox Christian vassals in secret, they all came out at once and we started converting the Catholic territories in our Empire to Orthodox (most of them are converted now, there are still a few holdouts, but no internal religious wars have flared up over it)

This game ends in the year 1453 so I've only got 53 years left and I'll have finally completed a full game of this thing!

View attachment 725901

View attachment 725904

I believe Steam is expected to launch their summer sale this week, so looking at Crusader Kings 3 or perhaps the new Baldurs Gate game that's in early access if the prices are right.
CK3 is pretty good. Also sometimes confusing when your marriages and succession go awry. I "looked up" mid way through a Wessex playthrough where I was making progress in Scandanavia/the Netherlands to see half of Ireland had worked its succession into one of the French empires. STOMP STOMP STOMP.

Last edited:
Managed to fully capture the remainder of France and Breizh and finished a full game from the year 867 to 1453

finished.png

What's funny is I came across a "King Martino" that was ruling Italy while I played!

martino_italy.png

Was going to get Crusader Kings III but the Steam Summer Sale was only 20% off and there was a better deal on Wasteland 3 (think the old turn-based combat Fallout games, similar to Xcom combat, set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland) so gonna fire that up next

Anyone played Borderlands 3? I loved Borderlands 2, not so much on pre-sequel (just felt stale). BD3 is on sale for summer sale and wondering if its worth the buy.

Anyone played Borderlands 3? I loved Borderlands 2, not so much on pre-sequel (just felt stale). BD3 is on sale for summer sale and wondering if its worth the buy.
It's more of the same. If it's the single player FPS angle you are mostly looking for, I recommend Prodeus, Wrath Aeon of Ruin, Dusk, and Amid Evil.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom