What are you listening to? (7 Viewers)

cash.png
I prefer the man in black this Friday !

doing some database work in my dark office (FU time change...) with this pumping along

I've been checking out some Psychemagik.

Disco'd up Yardbirds:

Working late alone in the office and BLASTING Zaireeka. Man, when the Flaming Lips were good, they were fucking great. Too bad about that whole last ten years...

In case anyone doesn't know, Zaireeka was originally released as a 4-disc set designed to be played simultaneously on 4 different systems. You can read more about the origin of this design here on the wiki page, but suffice to say, before it was easy to simply upload and merge audio files, it was an experience trying to listen to this fucking record.

More than once a bunch of us got together and blared 4 discs from players which differed in quality quite a bit. Way off, but that was sort of the idea.

EDIT: I had totally forgotten about the original, amazing Pitchfork review of Zaireeka. Yes, Pitchfork was once worth reading and no, I'm not sure how tongue-in-cheek this review is (though it is no longer hosted on their site and viewable only in Wayback Machine-type sites), but it's hilarious nonetheless:

Pitchfork via Wayback Machine said:
zaireeka.gif
Flaming Lips
Zaireeka
[Warner Bros.]
Rating: 0.0

Here's the concept: four CDs to be played simultaneously, creating some sort of quadrophonic stereo sound by which you may smoke hash or perhaps stare at your lava lamp.

Here's the reality: Do I wanna buy three more CD players with which to enjoy Zaireeka or, say, eat?

Let me put it to you this way: I have one CD player, a boombox I bought off my ex-roommate for about $15. I got it so cheap because (a) it was old, and (b) the latch that holds the cover of the CD player shut broke in a freak accident. I keep the player shut with a couple of strips of duct tape so the disc will play. I change the tape once every three weeks or so, which isn't often enough. If I could afford a new player, I'd get one. In the meantime, I'm still three short.

And talk about not connecting with your fan base! Have you ever seen a Flaming Lips fan? They spend all their cash on inhalants and detox. They don't have the money for four CD players and, if they did, they'd spend it all on-- you guessed it-- inhalants and detox. And then retox. But not three more CD players.

I tried to make do by listening to each disc on its own, and while it sounded interesting, I was still only getting one- fourth of the whole picture at a time. When I mentally put it all together, I figured it should sound like an acid casualty who sits on a throne, even though he lives in a seedy motel and hands out quaaludes to the newspaper delivery boys. But I could be wrong. I'll never know because I don't have the proper amount of stereo equipment.

If Flaming Lips mastermind Wayne Coyne-- who, up until now, has been amazingly creative without heading off into ridiculousness-- decides to release a mix of all four CDs on one disc, I'm all for it. In the meantime, he may as well have put the freakin' thing on an eight track tape or 6,000 microcassettes that each have one note on them. All Zaireeka is good for now is a mention on "The $25,000 Pyramid."

Contestant #1: "Tofu burgers, Ishtar, pet rocks, Tandy computers, the Flaming Lips' Zaireeka--" Contestant #2: "Completely useless things no one should have bothered with!"

-Jason Josephes

Last edited:
Feeling great. Having a date. So methinks this one is in order:

Wes Montgomery - "The Small Group Recordings" on vinyl, through a vintage 70's JVC turntable and Pioneer SA-7500 II Integrated Amp, Sweetness.

Thx. Even better. I'll show 'em. She comes over ;)

Hope it worked out ;)

lLe8N46.jpg

I think a lot of people find her irritating or self-absorbed, but I adore Fiona Apple. Her last couple albums were good, but When the Pawn (...) is really her masterpiece imo and this song is a repeated earworm for me. I just can't shake the melody for weeks at a time, but I really don't mind. Beautiful voice, beautiful writing, masterful production by Jon Brion.

In keeping with my crazy cat lady image, I've been back to Yusuf Islam.

This is a great song and the line

From the moment I could talk
I was ordered to listen​

is a good reminder for me to be patient with Megan, not to shout her down. It's easy to forget she's a wee, evolving thing, struggling with emotion and communication, and must be going through a lot. Exercising patience can be a very difficult thing but this song helps me remember that familial relations are fragile things.

Also

Take your time, think a lot
Think of everything you've got
For you will still be here tomorrow
But your dreams may not
is great advice :)

Rewatched Reservoir Dogs the other night for the billionth time and surprise surprise it still holds up.

As does the soundtrack. My favorites:

Put this album on for the first time in a couple years this weekend. Made me wish the band was still together and touring. They were a blast live.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom