Do you think Robbi Jade Lew cheated? Poll (5 Viewers)

Did she cheat?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I could be mistaken, but I think the digital card data needs to be manually fed into the stream recording graphics by  somebody who has access to both (who presumably is in the control room). I don't think that transfer happens automatically.

The process almost certainly is at least partially automatic, with the card data being automatically populated into the graphics software so that the technician doesn't have to manually type in what everyone is holding. However, the action almost certainly has to be entered by the technician manually. The graphics software uses the automatic card data and the manual action data to determine what the correct graphics should be at any point in time (including creating the cool animations when hands get folded, etc), and the software feeds the graphics into the video mixer which adds it to the recorded video stream.

The technician almost certainly has a way to manually override the automatically entered card data, in order to correct a bad read (whether reading the wrong card, or having blank card data). This manual overriding doesn't happen often - usually the read error is a blank read, and the fix is to have the player try the read again so that the data can be automatically entered like normal - but it does happen on occasion and you can see it on the stream when it does. The graphic will have the wrong data, and then the graphic will go down, and then the graphic gets redisplayed using correct data (usually because of an all-in and a call with the cards revealed).

So, having a technician present in the booth with real-time access to the card data is an important part of ensuring that the graphics are displayed correctly. So, yeah, there's a guy in the booth who can see the cards and that's probably not gonna change, maybe not ever.

The Behavioral Panel supports the lie detector test results. It's a long video but each gives their final analysis towards the end. Curious if anybody has seen a transcript of Lew's dialogue during the hand?

And...this guy breaks down Lew's body language, thumpers, and whether the dealer was involved somehow. Thus far I think people that are positive she cheated can't imagine how a woman, in a mostly male dominant game, managed to somehow beat a world renowned pro.

Two videos... 2.5 hours total?

nah-gif-1.gif

The process almost certainly is at least partially automatic, with the card data being automatically populated into the graphics software so that the technician doesn't have to manually type in what everyone is holding. However, the action almost certainly has to be entered by the technician manually. The graphics software uses the automatic card data and the manual action data to determine what the correct graphics should be at any point in time (including creating the cool animations when hands get folded, etc), and the software feeds the graphics into the video mixer which adds it to the recorded video stream.

The technician almost certainly has a way to manually override the automatically entered card data, in order to correct a bad read (whether reading the wrong card, or having blank card data). This manual overriding doesn't happen often - usually the read error is a blank read, and the fix is to have the player try the read again so that the data can be automatically entered like normal - but it does happen on occasion and you can see it on the stream when it does. The graphic will have the wrong data, and then the graphic will go down, and then the graphic gets redisplayed using correct data (usually because of an all-in and a call with the cards revealed).

So, having a technician present in the booth with real-time access to the card data is an important part of ensuring that the graphics are displayed correctly. So, yeah, there's a guy in the booth who can see the cards and that's probably not gonna change, maybe not ever.
Why does the guy that controls the mics have to be in that room?

Why does the guy that controls the mics have to be in that room?
I'll take a shot at answering that -- it's because that is the xxx (control, production, technical, stream, whatever-you-wanna-call-it) room. It's where all the wires / signals / actions associated with the broadcast go and come from.

In a perfect world, this consolidation makes perfect sense.

But in the real world of potential scumbags, cheaters, and angle-shooters, it probably needs to be highly compartmentalized, with safeguards, overseers, and redundant measures to ensure a nearly failsafe and foolproof system.

All that requires extra room, extra people, extra equipment, with additional planning and more money.

I suspect most places are designed to be 'reasonably' secure, vs incurring the effort and costs to make it infalliable.

The definition of what is 'reasonably secure' likely differs a great deal between those persons responsible for planning / building / funding the facility and those who are ultimately and potentially the most negatively financially impacted by it (i.e, the players).

Thus far I think people that are positive she cheated can't imagine how a woman, in a mostly male dominant game, managed to somehow beat a world renowned pro
I don’t think it’s that at all. If she makes a genuinely great call, I think everyone (including Garrett) would just smile and say congrats. But this call just isn’t that. It’s cheating, misread or incredible poker stupidity.

From what I’ve seen so far, cheating seems the most likely of the three, but I’ll happily switch camp to where ever the evidence points.

I don’t think it’s that at all. If she makes a genuinely great call, I think everyone (including Garrett) would just smile and say congrats. But this call just isn’t that. It’s cheating, misread or incredible poker stupidity.

From what I’ve seen so far, cheating seems the most likely of the three, but I’ll happily switch camp to where ever the evidence points.
Current evidence pointing towards not cheating.
1) Bad player makes bad call.
2) Bad player passes polygraph.
3) Bad player submits phone records to investigators.
4) No proof of cheating found yet.

What do you need to believe she didn't cheat?

Innocent til demonstrably proven guilty and is owed money from Adelstein imo. and should possibly seek legal remedy against him for slander.

Last edited:
Current evidence pointing towards not cheating.
1) Bad player makes bad call. Bad player makes worst call in history (but best against his specific hand)
2) Bad player passes polygraph. Not evidence, but still supports her case obv
3) Bad player submits phone records to investigators. What, she can’t use an unlisted cell phone?
4) No proof of cheating found yet. True and that needs to happen before I’m convinced she cheated. I just said I think it’s likely

Innocent til demonstrably proven guilty and is owed money from Adelstein imo. and should possibly seek legal remedy against him for slander. Yes, he should’ve kept his mouth shut and not taken any money. However, none of this has nothing to do with the fact that she’s a woman and/or sucks at poker.

Saying I think she cheated is paying her a compliment as I don’t see how someone can be stupid enough to make the other scenarios as likely

I'm not saying she didn't but thus far no proof. Also isn't she the exact type of player these guys want at the table? Loose, bad, deep pockets etc. Why on earth damage her reputation making it nearly impossible for her to play. I think Adelstein acted poorly because he just couldn't fathom losing to her. If the roles were reversed and he or Ivey made this call, they'd be applauded for their unbelievable reading skills; wouldn't they? And then if she accused them of cheating without any proof, she'd be laughed out of the room. There is definitely some gender biases going on imo. For example if it was another player (guy) that made this call vs Adelstein, would he have acted this out of line, interrogated him in a back room etc.? I don't think so.

Last edited:

I'm not saying she didn't but thus far no proof. Also isn't she the exact type of player these guys want at the table? Loose, bad, deep pockets etc. Why on earth damage her reputation making it nearly impossible for her to play. I think Adelstein acted poorly because he just couldn't fathom losing to her. If the roles were reversed and he or Ivey made this call, they'd be applauded for their unbelievable reading skills; wouldn't they? And then if she accused them of cheating without any proof, she'd be laughed out of the room. There is definitely some gender biases going on imo. For example if it was another player (guy) that made this call vs Adelstein, would he have acted this out of line, interrogated him in a back room etc.? I don't think so.
If they can’t find any proof or no one talks, I guess I’ll change my current position (which is: cheating more likely, but not 100% cheating). Although I will remain suspicious.

No, it wouldn’t have mattered if it was a guy making the call. Why on earth would it? Ivey or Garrett wouldn’t have made the call, no one would. Because it is un-fking-callable. Unless you’re cheating, or are the dumbest excuse for a poker player to ever sit at a table.

Consider if G hits both runouts and scoops? Does he still accuse her of cheating? Is there still an inquiry? Are we even talking about it? Nope.

I disagree on this point. Gman quits the game after that call regardless of which cards fall on the river. He was done with that game the moment she tabled her hand. It's written all over his face even before he cards run out. He knew what just happened.

I disagree on this point. Gman quits the game after that call regardless of which cards fall on the river. He was done with that game the moment she tabled her hand. It's written all over his face even before he cards run out. He knew what just happened.

Seriously??? You think he's walking away from a table where a fish donks off $135k calling with J4o (even though she was technically ahead)? No way. If he had chopped or won it all, he's staying right there dreaming of getting into more pots with her. Although I think he's going to be more careful trying to bluff her in the future.

No question Gman is a great player. He has an uncanny sense to know where he is in the hand and (usually) picks great spots to put is opponent to the test. There were two spots in the previous session where he did just that that I think lead to Robbi making the J4o call.

First was against Robbi where she floated on the turn and spiked an A on the river, 3-outer. Gman bets pot on the paired board on the river and she calls light. (time 2:25) Listen to the commentator - he's saying that Gman is excited that she called knowing that she'll chase light and in the long run he'll make bank. Exactly, he's not leaving that table, he's gonna sit there all night and stack her again and again with plays like that.

Second, Gman goes all in for $296k into a pot of $87k with K high against Andy with pocket Ks. Even the announcers are like WTF was his plan on the turn? But then they sing his praises for knowing how to apply max pressure when Andy folds.

* Not saying this is the case as I believe Garrett to be 1000% legit, but you could easily look at that hand with a bias that Garrett cheats and be convinced that he knew Andy's exact hand and how to apply max pressure to win. There are plenty of hands like that were Postle did just that ( after looking into his crotch of course ), where the announcers said very similar things about how great he was. Again, NOT suggesting for a second that Garrett ever cheated, just pointing out how depending on your bias, you can look at a hand completely differently.

So given just these two hands, there was recent context for the J4o hand. Robbie is an inexperienced player who was running a bit lucky chasing ( and hitting against Gman ) and she knows that Garrett will bluff/semi-bluff the turn or bet pot on the river with 3rd pair. I think that is where her comment of "You let me do this to you before" comes from. Still her call, even with the context of the hands above, is completely reckless and no poker player with any good sense would ever make that call. But that is the problem playing against noobs, they don't know odds and when to fold ( even when holding the winner ).

My take on this whole thing is that Robbi is an inexperienced player, having a bit of beginner's luck successfully calling Garret light in the previous session, and knowing he is known to blast off all-in on the river with nothing, and not giving a shit about money, decided to make one of the worse calls in poker history, only to win.

From Garret's point of view, that bet should have worked. It worked against a seasoned, thinking player like Andy with a super strong hand. But now this is the second time Robbi called him light and won, against what some could argue, questionable bets by Garrett. "How is this noob beating me?? She must be cheating cause these plays usually work against everyone else."

It sucks when noobs have more guts and money than sense, and suck out on you multiple times, but it happens. It's not cheating, it's poker.

I think Adelstein acted poorly because he just couldn't fathom losing to her.
Except watch the hand again. She called. They ran it twice. He watched both rivers brick, knew he’d lost both hands and all that money to the woman and he still sat there smiling away as always.
Let me repeat that. He knew he’d lost to her and he kept smiling. He didn’t “act poorly” until she tabled her improbable/impossible hand.

At this point, I believe two things to be true....
1) There's enough suspicion and oddness going around that I DO think she was cheating. For reasons. Not going into it all when it's been documented way better by so many other people.
2) I don't think she cheated on that hand. I think she played like a jackass and got extremely lucky. But while she didn't cheat that hand, or completely misread the signals she was receiving, she got lucky and won with that terrible call. She already had a guilty conscience, did an absolutely awful job of explaining her decision making, and offered to give the money back because she thought she was caught.

Wouldn't it be ironic if a cheating scheme was brought to light by a hand that there wasn't any actual cheating in, just an idiotic call?

Except watch the hand again. She called. They ran it twice. He watched both rivers brick, knew he’d lost both hands and all that money to the woman and he still sat there smiling away as always.
Let me repeat that. He knew he’d lost to her and he kept smiling. He didn’t “act poorly” until she tabled her improbable/impossible hand.
I'd say more of a shit-eating grin than a smile. He's a douche.

Seriously??? You think he's walking away from a table where a fish donks off $135k calling with J4o (even though she was technically ahead)? No way.

I don't think he's walking away from a fish. But I do believe he's walking away from this game regardless of which cards fell on the rivers. He did not see this as a fish call. It's written all over his face. He says it best while still processing what happened after the hand ends while everyone is discussing it when he says, "that's not a poker hand though".

I think he's right. This isn't just another "bad call", the likes of which we've all seen worse. And it sure as shit is not a "hero call" or a "good read". There are only two options here: either she cheated, or we all just watched the worst call that any of us have ever seen, and likely ever will see, whether we realize it or not.

Garrett is not a results oriented thinker. He's hyper logical. And he takes beats in stride every time. This hand was different. I believe he's walking away from the game either way. I know I would have.

I have been thinking more about why she gave the money back. Did she really just give the money back because Garrett seemed mad or was intimidating?

The other reason she gave for returning the money was not wanting to mess up the program which Ryan Feldman and the team works so hard to put together.

I don't really find either of these reasons believable.

Robbi just doesn't seem naive enough to give 135k to a sore loser. And I also don't believe she would give back 135k just to keep the stream going smoothly and not cause any disruption to the show.

IMO her giving the money back is as big of a red flag as the hand itself.

I have been thinking more about why she gave the money back. Did she really just give the money back because Garrett seemed mad or was intimidating?

The other reason she gave for returning the money was not wanting to mess up the program which Ryan Feldman and the team works so hard to put together.

I don't really find either of these reasons believable.

Robbi just doesn't seem naive enough to give 135k to a sore loser. And I also don't believe she would give back 135k just to keep the stream going smoothly and not cause any disruption to the show.

IMO her giving the money back is as big of a red flag as the hand itself.
She really seemed to me as to flirt with him, at the time I think she was more interested in a possible relationship with him than winning money. She seemed to really want his attention.

A decent read. Also, I didn't realize that Garrett has not played poker and has no immediate plans to do so again.

BTW Fake News! The day before he bet $296k with absolute Dog Sh*t for a hand of K5 off!
Screenshot_20221017-164515_YouTube.jpg

Article clearly starts with "Aldstien made the biggest bet of his life on 09/29" total BS!

Media always trying to "fluff" the facts!

In either scenario the most likely explanation for giving money back is that it was an irrational, spur-of-moment decision made with a lot of stress/adrenaline pumping. Possibly also some inebriation and fatigue.

BTW Fake News! The day before he bet $296k with absolute Dog Sh*t for a hand of K5 off!
View attachment 1008188
Article clearly starts with "Aldstien made the biggest bet of his life on 09/29" total BS!

Media always trying to "fluff" the facts!
I read the headline as that he is betting his reputation, which carries much higher “stakes” than a poker hand

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom