Have we finally reached market saturation?? (2 Viewers)

Private sales are not necessarily a better deal. Also a chance to screw you over and no one sees it. It's all about WHO you are buying from and WHAT you are buying.

And there are several pricing methods...two specifically...

Selling because the seller needs to free up chip space or needs money, that's more market value. Even that fluctuates.

Selling because the buyer sent him a PM, and now the buyer REALLY has to make an offer for seller to let them go (BOOYAH). This can make a $4/chip be sold for $6/chip etc.

I kinda disagree here. If it’s a set priced over $4k it can sit for a day or two and still be a great deal.
I agreed, sometime thing can be priced correctly but they are other factors involve as well especially if the set is over $1k.

Speaking from my recent experience, I had put my PCA primary set for sale at market price. I have a few PM within the first 24 hours (indicating interest) and asking about other thing like shipping concern, how hard is it to get add-on, additional pics and also time to raise fund.

Eventually it get sold about after a week.

I'm very new to chipping but I think its a great time to be a new chipper. The amount of stuff out there is amazing. A huge variety of chips and pricepoints.

I think its the way you look at purchasing chips that makes or breaks it for you.

Similar to housing (in New Zealand anyway), if you're looking to time the market, its a fools game. If you can afford it right now and it meets your needs, then go for it. Do I really care that I've paid $3.50 for a chip when the actual market value might (or should) be $3?

No. I'm going to be using these in my fortnightly home game for our enjoyment.

I also don't think that I should expect to be able to sell them for the same price I bought them after I've used them or even if they've just sat around gathering dust in a box.

There's also lots of private sales going, I believe. I bought more stuff privately here than what is publicly listed. The sellers have also said the same thing.

Also, to all those sellers saying CONUS shipping only, why is that? The rest of the world does not have all the good stuff from the land of the free. We're willing to pay for the cost of shipping and its still the same amount of time for you to go to the Post Office. I bet there are plenty of lurkers here who are interested in your chips if only you'd ship overseas!
I am a CONUS only seller because it is so much more hassle to deal with customs forms and not all shipping label sites make it easy to enter international addresses etc.

I also always tell myself that it’s better long term for the international chipper if I encourage them to work with a good reshipper who A) knows what they’re doing and B) will be a cheaper offering long term.

Yep. And for better or worse, the Greek key and scrown tributes are going to be game changers.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about molds that copy CPC or Paulson as far as my own sets goes. I can't/won't fault anyone else who decides to invest in them though given I've seen one very nice Tina Hat&Cane set already and a very cool proof for Tina Scrown.

I own CPC scrowns and might be bugged by a set of TinaScrowns sitting right next to them. If I ever get more scrowns they'll likely be CPC or old TRKs. Just a personal pref.

I was hoping this was dead.
Capture.PNG

You created this monster.
1 JMUF59MbqqtclKjGWDaPWw.gif

So I’m gathering that:

A - Some of the market has become a “shadow clique” doing deals behind the scenes on PM, WhatsApp, text & alleys

B - Most chippers have what they need, and only search for the lifetime journey type chips/racks

C - Sets are inflated and out of touch with new chipper price ranges

&

D - I’m in camp B, haven’t been invited to camp A, and think C will settle soon

Colin Farrell Actors GIF by PBS SoCal

I feel like the challenge with this, unfortunately, is that by the time I gather info, oftentimes, good deals are already gone.

There's no time once a classified is up to figure out if something is an amazing deal. You have to have an intuitive understanding of the FMV before it pops up and make a snap decision.

If something is a good but not amazing deal, you might have a bit more time but it's still tight.

There's no time once a classified is up to figure out if something is an amazing deal. You have to have an intuitive understanding of the FMV before it pops up and make a snap decision.

If something is a good but not amazing deal, you might have a bit more time but it's still tight.
(spreadsheet in progress)

I wonder if we could make (or if there already is) a list of 1) availability of certain chip sets (ie. abundance of a chip) and 2) range of pricing that could be stickied for newer chippers to use as a reference point. Probably a long shot.

It will be difficult to reach any consensus on anything. Value of money is different for different folks and significance of a single (to complete a barrel or rack or set) will affect desirability/price as will how many the seller has (random extras vs breaking a rack or a set).

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/tiger-palace-primary-25-cent.108531/

Bought these. 0 use for them. Will not keep them. Have never engaged in trade bait and won't.

But I was going to be damned before I let someone scoop them up for trade bait or buy them just to let them sit in a cabinet and then auction them in 6 months after people forgot where they bought them from and for how much. Would rather buy them and pass them along at cost to someone I know or a friend that needs them who wasn't online at the exact moment they were listed.

This just comes with being patient, searching, learning and taking your time. FMV can change day to day.

Don’t be fooled by an OPs claims or thread-fluffing. Do your work and/or reach out to someone you can trust if you have questions or are on the fence.
And by the time you search previous sales you will be "dibs triple back up" lol
It's a frustrating hobby for sure but I love it!

This just comes with being patient, searching, learning and taking your time. FMV can change day to day.

Don’t be fooled by an OPs claims or thread-fluffing. Do your work and/or reach out to someone you can trust if you have questions or are on the fence.
This is about the best advice I can offer too. Have one or two things in mind of what you like. Do your research on what those chips go for. Know what each denomination goes for inside and out, that way when they come up for sale, you're ready and know if the asking price is good or not.

You'd be surprised about what a wanted ad can accomplish too, having this knowledge in mind as well.

Where are these? Do I even want to know?
Not sure what happened to the scrown tributes, but I know I'm not crazy and saw them floating around. The MGK tributes are via Tina in the vendor section.

The customs form takes 60 seconds lol. I usually offer international if it’s over $100 or if the seller requests. And I let the buyer know risk is on them.
THANK YOU! I appreciate everyone who will still do non-CONUS and make a mental note of those that won't. I've also passed on many chips that continue to sit as they are CONUS only.

I used to have a US postal box thar found that just paying more to have the chips sent direct is worth the money (vs time). I also prefer not to use reshippers for anything beyond singles (why inconvenience someone else?).

Yes, all this exactly. And whoever it was earlier who said that 10% of the great deals are actually good deals - that figure is probably accurate. And those chips sell in a matter of minute. Like seriously, easy rule of thumb - if the chips have sat, unsold for days (or even hours really) its not a very good deal NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE COMMENT "WHAT A DEAL!" WITHOUT BUYING THE CHIPS.
Agree 100%!
Edit, ok maybe 90% because there are def exceptions.

Last edited:
So what is a good deal nowadays? As a relatively new chipper, I've definitely been click-baited into a "great deal" post for a set costing $10/chip without any clue as to if it really is a good deal.
As someone who buys chips to get into play a good deal for me is a price I can afford and am willing to pay.

When you see chips you like on the site, search them out in the classifieds and see what they have historically sold for. Then when they are listed for sale in the classifieds you can quickly evaluate the price and decide to buy or not.

I kinda disagree here. If it’s a set priced over $4k it can sit for a day or two and still be a great deal.

I definitely think card mold chips w the new molds have corrected some of the chip prices. Entry level chips are even cheaper now driving down the cost of all chips bc we have a significant influx in supply.

Entry level chips are no longer RHC. Leaving more RHC available. Lowering the cost on them, and that even trickles into THC.

But, I still don’t think market is saturated. Most sets still command their $. The biggest losers in the past year from peak to market is what? Certain NAGB chips (which frankly has been going on awhile) and IG RHC?
I agree with your comment on the expensive sets, but when you're talking about $4k that automatically dwindles the field of buyers by a lot so them sitting around is the norm......until enough "Dibs if split" come along. lol

It didn't work for wanted sales as well :confused generally most of the time you get offers that have weird breakdown or over priced set
Yes, I avoid using wanted ads unless I am willing to pay a premium. Much better to know what you are looking for and move quick if it comes up in the classifieds.

Agree with all this last few posts, and also love when people say this is the one and only price drop, or I will put them back in the vault ... like anyone cares. I was not going to buy them at that inflated price but I will now that you will put them back in the vault LOL.

Great Deal:

OP: These chips, this price, these pics
A: dibs
B: dibs
B: oops, A got there first, backup
C: backup
OP: sold, thanks for your interest!

"Great Deal":

OP: Amazing chips, great price, <price>, beyond mint!
A: Great deal, wish I had the money
B: Can't believe these haven't sold already
C: Love these chips, amazing deal, glws
D: If only I didn't have another similar set
OP: One time price drop, expires in 30 minutes

Thread fluffing is far worse than thread crapping, in my opinion. There’s usually much more truth in thread crapping, but nobody seems to care about truth anymore.

The only thing worse than seeing an OP’s clique of comrades fluffing the ad is when the OP spends 15 paragraphs telling you why you should buy. Then, without fail, the chips stay there and then the threats of them going to the vault will start to appear. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm not saying it's cool or it's right, but there's just a whole lot more work and stress involved in shipping outside of the US. So many more things that can go wrong. Every time I do it, I say Never Again!

International shipping doesn’t need to be a negative experience. In fact it can bring excitement to an otherwise mundane life, very much like waiting for the results of an STD test.

0CFA7A4E-248D-46B6-ADD4-3482313825DF.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom