Have we finally reached market saturation?? (2 Viewers)

B - Most chippers have what they need, and only search for the lifetime journey type chips/racks

D - I’m in camp B, haven’t been invited to camp A, and think C will settle soon

Man, two years.
There must be a lot more choice and supply out there if you can do that in two years here.

I still haven’t found what I’m looking for

5E5AB5B2-9F35-4F7B-95EF-4E226A4E27EB.jpeg

Racks could easily sell for over $3000 if someone wanted to release something nice.

These type of statements can be part of the issue. You may be entirely correct, but it can also be misinterpreted. Unless you are willing to pay 3000 a rack, for those chips in quantity, then it’s a really subjective valuation. Someone may jump in a unique rack for 3k, but have zero interest in a second rack.

These type of statements can be part of the issue. You may be entirely correct, but it can also be misinterpreted. Unless you are willing to pay 3000 a rack, for those chips in quantity, then it’s a really subjective valuation. Someone may jump in a unique rack for 3k, but have zero interest in a second rack.
I totally agree with you, don't get me wrong. Ultimately depends on what it is and who's buying it.

THANK YOU! I appreciate everyone who will still do non-CONUS and make a mental note of those that won't. I've also passed on many chips that continue to sit as they are CONUS only.

I used to have a US postal box thar found that just paying more to have the chips sent direct is worth the money (vs time). I also prefer not to use reshippers for anything beyond singles (why inconvenience someone else?).
The customs form isn't the problem, it's what custom might do with the packages that is. I've shipped a handfull of packages internationally and have received some back. Most of the time it's very smooth, but every once in a while you get a package that has been opened and not put back properly. Also had a package that just stopped moving for a couple weeks and then suddenly appeared. That made me nervous!

The customs form isn't the problem, it's what custom might do with the packages that is. I've shipped a handfull of packages internationally and have received some back. Most of the time it's very smooth, but every once in a while you get a package that has been opened and not put back properly. Also had a package that just stopped moving for a couple weeks and then suddenly appeared. That made me nervous!
Somebody posted one this week where customs had opened it up, taken out two chips, and broken them.

In many years I've never had a package not arrive. I always assume 100% responsibility.

I have had packages stall before and have found a quick inquiry by the shipper usually gets the package moving again the same or next day. Never fails.

The best I had so far was a package opened (full of racks in rack boxes) with a notice about opiod abuse/addiction. Wrong substance but correct message. Maybe the barrels looked like pill containers?

In many years I've never had a package not arrive. I always assume 100% responsibility.

I have had packages stall before and have found a quick inquiry by the shipper usually gets the package moving again the same or next day. Never fails.

The best I had so far was a package opened (full of racks in rack boxes) with a notice about opiod abuse/addiction. Wrong substance but correct message. Maybe the barrels looked like pill containers?
We see that with dice shipments. Apparently a great way to hide drugs, smuggle them in opaque dice or other game pieces. Kinda wish they put in gamblers anonymous pamphlets, could atleast hang those up!

This. Saying anything that’s sitting for longer a couple of hours is a bad deal is not a good rule of thumb. Does it happen often? Yes. But not the rule. Best for a new member to educate themselves and spend some time hanging around before buying their first set.
Sometimes it's a good deal but just not a heavily desired item. A fleabitten rack of bike tire THCs is a potentially fine deal, but someone needs to want them and many just won't but them based on condition.

I'm very new to chipping but I think its a great time to be a new chipper. The amount of stuff out there is amazing. A huge variety of chips and pricepoints.

I think its the way you look at purchasing chips that makes or breaks it for you.

Similar to housing (in New Zealand anyway), if you're looking to time the market, its a fools game. If you can afford it right now and it meets your needs, then go for it. Do I really care that I've paid $3.50 for a chip when the actual market value might (or should) be $3?

No. I'm going to be using these in my fortnightly home game for our enjoyment.

I also don't think that I should expect to be able to sell them for the same price I bought them after I've used them or even if they've just sat around gathering dust in a box.

There's also lots of private sales going, I believe. I bought more stuff privately here than what is publicly listed. The sellers have also said the same thing.

Also, to all those sellers saying CONUS shipping only, why is that? The rest of the world does not have all the good stuff from the land of the free. We're willing to pay for the cost of shipping and its still the same amount of time for you to go to the Post Office. I bet there are plenty of lurkers here who are interested in your chips if only you'd ship overseas!
Risk and hassle. It's just easier to sell to a US address and let someone else handle the international shipping.

This thread 100% did not need any revival.

Answers haven't remotely changed.

Things are being sold privately. Everyone wants sell high buy low. Everyone continues to collect more and sell less. Only times the max desired chips hit classified is for a higher than historical amount of money.

And stuff sits/it's a buyers market because everyone is selling the same things and overpriced.

If you want the good stuff you better a) have lots of patience and/or money to throw at it, or b) make friends with the right people.
You forgot Option C, which you and others did so well recently with the Adolfo's:

Stop relying on other people to sell and just go out and find your own hauls instead. They're out there — it's just that most people can't be bothered or don't have the time to do the groundwork.

Risk and hassle. It's just easier to sell to a US address and let someone else handle the international shipping.
I've only had good experiences so far from sellers on here, chiptalk (RIP) and on other sites and I hope it has been smooth for them too.

I can't force anyone to sell to us down here but I just feel like for the sake of filling in an extra form, you're missing out on so many potential buyers. I obviously can't speak for all those who ship international but for all the ones I've dealt with so far, it doesn't seem like much more hassle than posting local anyway.

I really appreciate those sellers who offer international shipping. We just don't have anything we can get here so we're willing to pay good money, eat the shipping and assume the risk!

Thread Revival.

Current chipping situation:

- Everyone has what they want, and has stopped buying

OR

- Everyone has what others want, and won’t release

AND

- Hoarding has killed forward momentum of many

FURTHERMORE

- I think the “flush with cash” Rona days tricked folks into buying/selling more than they usually would
Serious question: what is meant by hoarding — and why is it seemingly used as a derogatory term on this forum?

This is a collector's forum, right? So if you spend the time and money collecting what you want, why wouldn't you keep them for yourself?

Serious question: what is meant by hoarding — and why is it seemingly used as a derogatory term on this forum?

This is a collector's forum, right? So if you spend the time and money collecting what you want, why wouldn't you keep them for yourself?
Poker chips should be put into play. If you want pretty chips to look at get sample sets.

Hoarders buy chips in excess that they never plan on using.

WTF do you need racks on racks on racks if you just collect? Market speculation?

Poker chips should be put into play. If you want pretty chips to look at get sample sets.

Hoarders buy chips in excess that they never plan on using.

WTF do you need racks on racks on racks if you just collect? Market speculation?
Fair enough. Personally, however, I just think that that's the nature of collecting — poker chips or otherwise.

Fair enough. Personally, however, I just think that that's the nature of collecting — poker chips or otherwise.
Yeah, this is more than just semantics, I agree. That's why I'll call myself a chipper, sure, but I can't call myself a chip collector. Every chip I get gets played in some way, save for a few singles or samples that get passed on.

Even cards: I buy an absurd amount of card setups and resell a bunch of them but even they get opened and shuffled and used when I get the chance. I guess that's more collector because they don't all see felt right away, but very few decks leaving my house are "mint".

Just different mindsets.

A hoarders ”collection style” to me is best described as Scrat from the Ice Age movie:

Find it all, take it all, no sharing. Just hoarding, more than humanely possible to use. Pack it away to keep it all from the world….
sniffing ice age GIF

Or Scrooge McDuck:
Scrooge Mcduck Karma GIF

Last edited:
You forgot Option C, which you and others did so well recently with the Adolfo's:

Stop relying on other people to sell and just go out and find your own hauls instead. They're out there — it's just that most people can't be bothered or don't have the time to do the groundwork.
Go where exactly? Estate sales or something? (Sorry don’t know the story behind the Adolfo’s)

Edit: found the thread.

I call it "thread shining". And it shouldn't be allowed if "thread crapping" is outlawed. My 2c.
I think when it’s really blatant you can tell but this has even more gray area than thread crapping. Where’s the line on being friendly? Or sometimes it’s very clearly fluffing/shining but we also all know cases where it is one of those really expensive grail sets that many can’t afford and it’s fun to participate at least by wowing at the chips.

I think when it’s really blatant you can tell but this has even more gray area than thread crapping. Where’s the line on being friendly? Or sometimes it’s very clearly fluffing/shining but we also all know cases where it is one of those really expensive grail sets that many can’t afford and it’s fun to participate at least by wowing at the chips.
I say if we’re going to have a no thread crapping rule we should simply disallow any comments on classifieds. Either buy them or stay out of it.

Um, or just don't allow both? If you thread crap you get in trouble, same thing for thread shine.

I just posted in one classified that someone should buy the chips. They have fallen severely in market price, and, after several discounts, are priced to go. I don't know the person, I wasn't blowing smoke - the next price drop I'm snap buying. I'd pre price drop dibs if that was a thing.

If I say something is a good price or a good deal, I mean it. I don't post that willy nilly. And half the time I end up buying the damn thing if I said it was a good deal because, well, it was a good deal!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom